Wallace Bruce SWINTON

SWINTON, Wallace Bruce

Service Number: 1441
Enlisted: 21 September 1914, Pontville, Tasmania
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st Australian Clearing Hospital
Born: Hobart, Tasmania, 13 February 1893
Home Town: Hobart, Tasmania
Schooling: Albuera Street Primary
Occupation: Carpenter
Died: Natural Causes, Hobart, Tasmania, 2 August 1977, aged 84 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Hobart Roll of Honour, Tasmanian Amateur Athletics Association
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

21 Sep 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Pontville, Tasmania
5 Dec 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 1441, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital
5 Dec 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 1441, 1st Australian Clearing Hospital, HMAT Kyarra, Melbourne
23 Mar 1916: Discharged AIF WW1

A Patriotic Family of Hobart

The parents of the Swinton family of Hobart, Alexander Swinton and Margaret Helen Milne, had eleven children (eight male and three female.)

Six of these boys enlisted and saw active service in WW1. Thankfully, all returned safely home, albeit one slightly wounded.

The members involved were –

Wallace Bruce Swinton b. 13 February, 1883

Ronald Campbell Swinton b. 3 June, 1885

Donald Lindsay Swinton b. 2 August, 1886

Norman George Swinton b. 1 October, 1888

Harold Edward Swinton b. 15 July, 1890

Allan Douglas Swinton b. 22 December, 1895

The future wife of Norman George Swinton also came to Tasmania,

Winifred Margaret Somerville Anderson born Scotland 1891.


A time at Gallipoli

Wallace Bruce Swinton enlisted on 21st September 1914 and entered Pontville Army Camp. He embarked for Egypt on HMAT Kyara in Melbourne on 5th December 1914.

He related to the chaos when they arrived at Gallipoli on the morning of 25th April – of the many men who drowned when alighting from the landing barges, only to find that the water was too deep. In addition he mentioned the casualties caused by rifle cross fire along the beach.

The only other aspect he ever mentioned was the morning of 5th June when he was hit in the lower right thigh by a piece of shrapnel which lodged in his right calf. He related to running down the hill to the first aid station with blood spirting about 1 foot from his wound. He claimed that as “work” had not started for the day and a number of surgeons were available and provided him with treatment which saved his leg. He was of the view that had the incident occurred during a part of the day when everyone was busy, part of his leg would most likely have been amputated.

He was subsequently transferred from the Dardanelles to Malta and on 17th July was transferred by hospital ship to England.

On 7th November 1915 he was invalided back to Australia on the ship “Runic” owing to “a dropped foot due to shrapnel”.

He was eventually discharged on 23rd March 1916.

On 13th July 1915 he received special mention in Divisional Orders for Gallantry and Valuable Service during the period 6th May 1915 and 28th June 1915

Showing 2 of 2 stories