Charles Veasey COOPER

COOPER, Charles Veasey

Service Number: 6244
Enlisted: 11 April 1916, Enlisted at Cootamundra, NSW
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 4th Infantry Battalion
Born: Walsingham, Norfolk, England, United Kindom, 22 July 1899
Home Town: Whitton, Leeton, New South Wales
Schooling: King Edward VII Grammar School, King's Lynn, Norfolk, England
Occupation: Engine Driver
Died: Wounds, France, 19 September 1918, aged 19 years
Cemetery: La Chapelette British and Indian Cemetery, Peronne
Plot III. Row D. Grave 13., La Chapelette British and Indian Cemetery, Peronne, Picardie, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

11 Apr 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 6244, 4th Infantry Battalion, Enlisted at Cootamundra, NSW
9 Sep 1916: Involvement Private, 6244, 4th Infantry Battalion
9 Sep 1916: Embarked Private, 6244, 4th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Euripides, Sydney
19 Sep 1918: Involvement Lance Corporal, 6244, 4th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Charles Veasey Cooper's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Geoffrey Gillon

Lance Corporal 6244, 4th Battalion, Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Died of wounds 19 September 1918 sustained the previous day. Admitted to King's Lynn King Edward VII Grammar School May 1898, son of T. Cooper, of The Elms, Wisbech Road, Lynn (an Engineer); previously privately taught. Left in 1904 to take up Engineering. An Engineer Driver by trade.

Emigrated to Queensland, Australia, aged 23, departed Liverpool 15 November 1912 aboard the 'Suffolk'.

Eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Cooper, The South House, King’s Lynn. An adventurer, he had lived in East Africa and South Africa before journeying to Australia and becoming a sheep farmer. Was twice rejected for military service. Enlisted at Whitton, NSW. Overseas 11 April 1916. Also named on King's Lynn War Memorial, West Lynn Church War Memorial, All Saints Church, South Lynn, Memorial Window and The King's Lynn King Edward VII Grammar School memorial takes the form of a wall mounted roofed alabaster plaque with the school's badge at the top and the names within a slate centre piece. There are 56 names listed for World War 1 covering the Old Boys from the school.

King’s Lynn War Memorial

This stands in Greyfriars Gardens opposite the headquarters of Norfolk Police and near to Greyfriars Tower.


The West Lynn memorial is to be found within the churchyard of St. Peters Church. It takes the form of a plain cross mounted on a plinth with a three-stepped base. 


The memorial comprises wooden panels with the names of the fallen painted on them. The memorial was erected in 1921. The church has since become St. Michael’s Primary School and the memorial was restored and rededicated in 1999. The memorial has now be removed from the school as it was deemed inappropriate for a primary school. At 2019 the memorial is seeking a new home possibly the new community centre being built in South Lynn.


Biography contributed by Carol Foster

Medals: British War Medal, Victory Medal