Dr. Joseph Espie DODS DSO, MC, MiD

DODS, Joseph Espie

Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 13 October 1914, Brisbane, Queensland
Last Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
Last Unit: Australian Army Medical Corps (2/AIF)
Born: Edinburgh, Scotland, 29 June 1874
Home Town: Brisbane, Brisbane, Queensland
Schooling: Brisbane Boys Grammar & Edinburgh University
Occupation: Medical Doctor
Died: Suicide (hanging), Brisbane, Queensland, 6 December 1930, aged 56 years
Cemetery: South Brisbane Cemetery
Memorials: Brisbane Grammar School Boer War Honour Board
Show Relationships

Boer War Service

1 Nov 1899: Involvement Australian and Colonial Military Forces (Boer War / Boxer Rebellion), Captain, 1st Queensland Mounted Infantry

World War 1 Service

13 Oct 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Captain, Brisbane, Queensland
21 Dec 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 5th Light Horse Regiment, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
21 Dec 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Captain, 5th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Persic, Sydney
27 Jan 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Lieutenant Colonel, SN Officer, 5th Light Horse Regiment
28 Apr 1917: Discharged AIF WW1, Lieutenant Colonel, Australian Army Medical Corps (2/AIF)

Help us honour Joseph Espie Dods's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"Born in Edinburgh to Pat Marks’s paternal grandmother, Elizabeth Gray Stodart and her first husband Robert Smith Dods in 1874, Espie Dods studied medicine at Edinburgh and Public Health in Dublin, before following his mother to Brisbane in 1899, where he joined the Army Medical Corps, serving in the Boer War as a Captain, and was awarded the Queen’s Medal with four clasps. Returning to Queensland, he was appointed Government Medical Officer. He married Anna Ruth Walker in 1906, and signed up for military service again at the outbreak of World War 1, joining the Army Medical Corps, attached to the 5th Light Horse Regiment. Dods served at Gallipoli from May to August 1915, when he was badly wounded by shrapnel, but returned to the lines a couple of months later. Awarded the Military Cross, he later served in France at Pozieres in the Battle of the Somme in 1916. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and by the end of the war was a lieutenant-colonel. After the war he worked in general practice, fathered three children, and was president of the Queensland branch of the AMA, the Medical Defence society, and the Queensland Club. Despite his successful career and for unknown reasons he hanged himself in 1930, at the age of 56." - SOURCE (www.serf.qut.edu.au)

"OBITUARY. Dr. J. Espie Dods.

The death of Dr. J. Esple Dods, Government Medical Officer, occured at his home in Wickham-terrace on December 6 with tragic suddenness. Although his professional engagements had been numerous and arduous in recent months, he had appeared in the best of health, and the news of his death came as a shock to all who had been intimately associated with him. His cheerful and kindly disposition had won him many friends, particularly among officers in the public service, and these regard his passing in the light of a personal loss. The late Dr.Dods was in his 56th year. He was born in London, but came to Queensland with his people when he was a child. His early education was received at the Brisbane Boys' Grammar School, from which he was sent to Edinburgh University to study medicine. Having obtained his degree he returned to Brisbane in IIM and opened a practice. His immediate success placed him in the public eye, and two years later he was appointed Government Medical Officer, which position he held until the time of his death. He was Commonwealth Medical Officer in Brisbane until last year, and was medical referee for the A.M.P. Society in Queensland. After the war
he was elected president of the Queensland branch of the B.M.A., and he was on the Queensland Council of that body for many years. He was president of, the Queensland Club for four years in succession, and was a trustee of the club for a much longer period. 

An enviable war record was possessed by the late doctor, who served for three and a half years as medical officer in the Light Horse. He was badly wounded during an action onMthe Peninsula, and was awarded the D.S.O. and M.C. for valiant services rendered there. He was in action during the South African war also, being attached to the First Queensland Contingent in a medical capacity. He is survived by his widow and four children." - from the Queenslander 11 Dec 1930 (nla.gov.au)