George Percival FRASER

Badge Number: 198, Sub Branch: State/Glenelg

FRASER, George Percival

Service Number: 6114
Enlisted: 21 March 1916, at Adelaide
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 2nd Divisional Salvage Company
Born: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1879
Home Town: North Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Jockey
Memorials: Laura District Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

21 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 6114, 10th Infantry Battalion, at Adelaide
12 Aug 1916: Involvement Private, 6114, 10th Infantry Battalion
12 Aug 1916: Embarked Private, 6114, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ballarat, Adelaide
21 Mar 1917: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, 6114, 27th Infantry Battalion, GSW leg
11 Jan 1918: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 2nd Divisional Salvage Company
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 6114

Help us honour George Percival Fraser's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College


George Percival Fraser was the son of Marie Fraser. Fraser grew up in North Adelaide, South Australia. There is no information suggesting Fraser grew up with any brothers, sisters or a father but this does not mean he did not have any. Fraser grew up to be 5 2” and weighed in at 50.8kg allowing him to fit in the role of being a professional jockey. Fraser’s appearance comprised of a “fresh” complexion, brown hair and blue eyes. Fraser’s marital status was single and his next of kin was his mother, Marie Fraser. Fraser’s exact birth date is not known although his date of embarkation upon the ship, HMAT Ballarat, was 12th of August 1916 and his age at embarkation was 36. This information indicates he was born in 1879 or 1880. On 21st of March 1916, Fraser was enlisted into the AIF, his rank given at the time was a private and his service number was 6114.


Involvement in the war:

Fraser trained at the Morphettville Racecourse like most South Australians, others trained in Egypt. Training consisted of physical exercise, following and complying with commands, marching and basic weapon training. Fraser was part of the 10th Battalion and given the rank “private” and his service number. Fraser disembarked Adelaide via the HMAT Ballarat and embarked for active service abroad on 12th of August 1916 to travel to Plymouth in England. During his travel, Fraser was awarded forfeiture of 4 days’ worth of pay due to gambling at sea. After disembarking at Plymouth, Fraser continued overseas to France where he would join the 27th battalion. Fraser and his battalion were taken on strength on 23rd of January 1917. However, 2 months later in the battle, Fraser was wounded to his right thigh and was sent to the Reading War Hospital in England. After 23 days of recovery, Fraser was transported back over to France to re-join his unit. Five months later, in August 1917, he rejoined the 27th battalion again. In December 1917 he was transferred again, this time to the 2nd Division Salvage Company. It was not until 4th of July 1918 Fraser fell ill with influenza and returned to the Reading War Hospital where he remained for one month. After recovery, Fraser spent the next nine months with the 16th battalion for rations and joining the 2nd division before marching into Southampton, England. From there Fraser was sent back to Australia via the “Persic" in July 1919. His time away from Australia was 3 years and 2 months.

No clear details are known of Georg'e slife after the war.