Arthur Norman (Barney) ALLEN


ALLEN, Arthur Norman

Service Number: 3002
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 58th Infantry Battalion
Born: 1897, place not yet discovered
Home Town: Barooga, Berrigan, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Storeman
Died: Killed In Action, Belgium, 29 September 1917
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Flanders, Belgium
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Cobram Barooga RSL War Memorial, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

26 Nov 1915: Involvement Private, SN 3002, 23rd Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres
26 Nov 1915: Embarked Private, SN 3002, 23rd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Commonwealth, Melbourne
29 Sep 1917: Involvement Lance Corporal, SN 3002, 58th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres

Help us honour Arthur Norman Allen's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Stephen Brooks

3002 Lance Corporal Arthur Norman Allen, 58th Battalion AIF, killed in action 29th September 1917. Arthur was the son of Arthur and Annie Maria Allen who were the owners of the Barooga Hotel when he enlisted at 18 years of age. The Allen family was associated with the Barooga Hotel for many years.

Arthur enlisted on the 10th July 1915 and embarked from Melbourne during November 1915.

He joined the 58th Battalion in Egypt during February 1916. Arthur was sent to France on the 23 June 1916 and survived the devastating Battle of Fromelles in July 1916. The 58th Battalion suffered very heavy casualties during this disastrous attack. Allen fought for 12 months on the Western Front till given leave to the UK for a fortnight during June 1917 and he was promoted to Lance Corporal. He was reported missing in action, in Belgium, 29 September 1917 during the Battle of Polygon Wood.

Arthur Allen was known as “Barney” Allen to his mates. From their account of his death in the Red Cross Missing and Wounded files, he was literally blown to pieces by a shell which burst on the shell hole he was firing a Lewis Gun from. No traces of his remains were ever found.