Tom Percy WOOD

WOOD, Tom Percy

Service Numbers: Not yet discovered
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Not yet discovered
Last Unit: Australian Army Chaplains' Department
Born: Blackburn Lancashire England, 1881
Home Town: Strathalbyn, Alexandrina, South Australia
Schooling: St Peter's College
Occupation: Church of England Clerk in Holy Orders
Died: Eastwood, SA, 26 January 1957, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia
Memorials: Hackney St Peter's College Honour Board, Strathalbyn Christ Church Honour Board, Strathalbyn District Roll of Honor WW1
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

7 Feb 1916: Embarked Australian Army Chaplains' Department, HMAT Miltiades, Adelaide
7 Feb 1916: Involvement Australian Army Chaplains' Department
7 Feb 1916: Embarked Australian Army Chaplains' Department, HMAT Miltiades, Adelaide
7 Feb 1916: Involvement Australian Army Chaplains' Department
23 Jun 1916: Embarked Australian Army Chaplains' Department, HMAT Barambah, Sydney
23 Jun 1916: Involvement Australian Army Chaplains' Department
23 Jun 1916: Embarked Australian Army Chaplains' Department, HMAT Barambah, Melbourne
23 Jun 1916: Involvement Australian Army Chaplains' Department

Help us honour Tom Percy Wood's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Sharyn Roberts

The Rev. Tom Percy Wood, who begins his new work in the Morialta parish this week, is an old St. Peter's boy, and received his theological training at St. Barnabas's College. He was ordained deacon and priest by Bishop Harmer 1902-1904 in St. Peter's Cathedral. He served curacies at Goodwood and Mitcham before becoming rector of Laura (1905-1910). He then became rector of Strathalbyn, from whence he went to Gawler. He served as chaplain to the A.I.F. in the Great War, and has always been a staunch friend to returned men. Mr. Wood is the only son of the Rev. T. Wood, now retired and living at Walkerville, though doing occasional duty. For several years he has been assisting with the summer ministrations of St. Augustine's, Victor Harbour. Mrs. T. P. Wood was formerly Miss Fanny Newbury, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Newbury. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have four sons, two of whom have taken up land at McGillivray, Kangaroo Island. Mr. Wood's new parish consists of Morialta (Norton's Summit), Montacute, and Uraidla. Marble Hill is in the parish.

Chronicle Thursday 03 April 1930 page 43

Read more...