Charles Arthur CARVOSSO

CARVOSSO, Charles Arthur

Service Number: 2596
Enlisted: 20 July 1915, Melbourne, Victoria
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 21st Infantry Battalion
Born: Ballarat, Victoria, 20 June 1880
Home Town: Ballarat Central, Ballarat North, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Fitter
Died: Accidental (struck by a train), Ballarat, Victoria , 2 September 1940, aged 60 years
Cemetery: Ballarat (New) General Cemetery
Lawn G 42 Row 20
Memorials: Ballarat Avenue of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

20 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2596, Melbourne, Victoria
5 Oct 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 2596, 21st Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
5 Oct 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 2596, 21st Infantry Battalion, RMS Moldavia, Melbourne
24 Aug 1916: Wounded SN 2596, 21st Infantry Battalion, Pozières, GSW (left arm/abdomen)
13 Sep 1917: Discharged AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 2596, 21st Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Charles Arthur Carvosso's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Gail Stapleton

Charles was the son of Margaret Pearce and Thomas Carvosso, and was the husband of Annie Louisa Lister. Annie was born at Ballarat in 1880 and died there on 05 Jun 1965

Charles and Annie were the parents of Mercia Beryl Pratt and Kenneth Victor Carvosso

Ballarat Avenue of Honour Tree Number 3364 - Planted by Miss L Martin

Charles was killed when crossing train tracks on his bike, and got collected by the locomotive's cow catcher and flung against a fence. 

"RUN DOWN BY TRAIN.  Railway Worker Killed

BALLARAT, Monday.— Fatal injuries were received by Charles Carvosso, 60 years, married, of Raglan-street, when he was struck by the 5 p.m. west-bound train at Ballarat North this evening. Carvosso, who was employed at the Ballarat North railway workshops, was crossing the railway track by a path which employes are accustomed to use, and apparently failed to observe the on-coming train, the engine of which struck him. He suffered head injuries and shock, and was admitted to the Base Hospital, where he died shortly afterwards." - from the Melbourne Age 03 Sep 1940 (