Herbert William GUNN


GUNN, Herbert William

Service Numbers: 2341A, 2341
Enlisted: 5 November 1915
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 30th Infantry Battalion
Born: Lower Mitcham, Adelaide, South Australia, 5 November 1897
Home Town: Parkside, Unley, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Grocer Assistant
Died: Killed in action, France, 20 June 1918, aged 20 years
Cemetery: Ribemont Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme
I O 8
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial (South Australia), Unley Arch*, Unley HB01 Town Hall*
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

5 Nov 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2341A, 30th Infantry Battalion
9 Mar 1916: Embarked Private, SN 2341, 32nd Infantry Battalion, RMS Mongolia, Outer Harbor
9 Mar 1916: Involvement Private, SN 2341, 32nd Infantry Battalion
20 Jul 1916: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, SN 2341A, Gunshot Wound to scalp
20 Jun 1918: Involvement Private, SN 2341A, 30th Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Wounded SN 2341A, 32nd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Herbert William Gunn's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

The Advertiser Wednesday 10 July 1918 page 7
Private HERBERT WILLIAM GUNN, who was killed in France on June 20, was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Gunn, of Young street Parkside. He was with the first Australians to leave Egypt for France. On July 20, 1916, he was wounded but rejoined his unit. He was only in the lines a few months when he suffered from trench feet, but he returned again in October,1917. He was in the trenches until his death. Prior to enlisting he was in the employ of Messrs. G. Wood, Son & Co.


Biography contributed by Cathy McMillan

See National Archives of Australia

Enlisted on his 18th birthday, with written/signed consent from both parents, Herbert Francis Horace Gunn & Mary Ellen Gunn.

Several admissions to hospital, requiring return to England, suffering from "Trench foot".

Whilst on furlough in April 1917, he was charged with "Neglecting to Obey Orders - Train Travel"