Service Number: Officer
Enlisted: 2 April 1915
Last Rank: Major
Last Unit: 9th Infantry Battalion
Born: 27 November 1869, place not yet discovered
Home Town: Toowoomba, Toowoomba, Queensland
Schooling: State & Private School
Occupation: Gentleman
Died: Suicide, Brisbane, Qld., 8 May 1916, aged 46 years
Cemetery: Toowong (Brisbane General) Cemetery
5. 67. 24. M1/550. (GRM/4*).
Memorials: Toowoomba HR1
Show Relationships

Boer War Service

1 Oct 1899: Involvement Lieutenant, 1st Queensland Mounted Infantry
1 Oct 1899: Involvement Captain

World War 1 Service

2 Apr 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Major, SN Officer, 9th Infantry Battalion
16 Apr 1915: Involvement Major, 9th Infantry Battalion
16 Apr 1915: Embarked Major, 9th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Kyarra, Brisbane
8 May 1916: Involvement 9th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Henry Bailey's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Husband of Helen Cecilia Bailey and father of George Squires Bailey, Leyton West Street, Toowoomba, Queensland

Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Bailey, a well-known officer attached to the military forces, was taken to the Brisbane General Hospital on Monday morning suffering from a bullet wound in his head. The officer, who was on the retired list, went to Egypt last year in charge of troops, and returned to Queensland at the end of the year. He died about an hour or so after admission to the hospital.
It appears that the tragedy occurred in one of the rooms at the Commercial ' Travellers' Club in Elizabeth -street that morning. The bullet entered the head near one of the temples, and passed out at the back of the head, grazing the brain. In private life the deceased was western traveller for Messrs. Burns, Philp and Co., Ltd., and prior to going to the Boer War he was a well-known business man in Toowoomba. His son, who served in the Gallipoli campaign, returned to Queensland recently, having been invalided home.
The late officer was well-known as a member of the 3rd Light Horse, which had its headquarters on the Downs. He received his first commission-second lieutenant in 1894, and held the rank of major when he retired from the active list in 1913. 
When transferred to the retired list he received the promotion in rank. In April of last year he received an appointment in the A.I.F., as major, and went to the front with the fifth reinforcements of the 9th battalion, and also acted as O.C. of the troopship on the voyage across. He was in the trenches for some time, and subsequently returned, to Queensland, his A.I.F. appointment being terminated in November of last year. Since then he has been doing duty at the camps, and was at Chermside when he, with others, demobilised on account of the establishment of the camps not warranting so many officers. The late officer, it is understood, had volunteered once more for active service, and it is said that the fact that he had been demobilised may have worried him.