Henry Frederick HALLIDAY


HALLIDAY, Henry Frederick

Service Number: 20084
Enlisted: 8 September 1915
Last Rank: Gunner
Last Unit: 8th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Stirling West, South Australia , 3 December 1873
Home Town: Port Pirie, Port Pirie City and Dists, South Australia
Schooling: Crafers Public School, South Australia
Occupation: Foreman at BHP
Died: Nephritis, Beaufort War Hospital, Bristol, England, United Kingdom, 24 September 1917, aged 43 years
Cemetery: Luckington (St. Mary) Churchyard
Luckington (St Mary) Churchyard, Luckington, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
Memorials: Adelaide Grand Masonic Lodge WW1 Honour Board (1), Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Port Pirie I.O.O.F. FLT Ceres Lodge No 35 Roll of Honor, Port Pirie Oval WW1 Memorial Gates
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 Sep 1915: Enlisted
20 May 1916: Involvement Gunner, SN 20084, 8th Field Artillery Brigade , Third Ypres
20 May 1916: Embarked Gunner, SN 20084, 8th Field Artillery Brigade , HMAT Medic, Melbourne
24 Sep 1917: Involvement Gunner, SN 20084, Third Ypres

Help us honour Henry Frederick Halliday's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

The summary below was completed by Cathy Sedgwick – Facebook “WW1 Australian War Graves in England/UK/Scotland/Ireland

Died on this date – 24th September…… Henry Frederick Halliday was born in December, 1873 at Stirling West, South Australia.

Henry Frederick Halliday married Susannah Dawson Nason on 17th April, 1899 in Adelaide, South Australia.

Henry Frederick Halliday enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force (A.I.F.) on 28th September, 1915 as a 42 year old, married, Foreman from Port Pirie, South Australia.

Gunner Henry Frederick Halliday embarked from Melbourne on HMAT Medic (A7) on 20th May, 1916 with the 8th Field Artillery Brigade, 32nd Battery & disembarked at Plymouth, England on 18th July, 1916 where he would receive further training before being sent to the War Front.

Gunner Halliday was set sick to Hospital from 8th Field Artillery Brigade on 14th December, 1916. He rejoined his Unit from Hospital on 22nd December, 1916.
Gunner Halliday proceeded overseas to France from Southampton on 30th December, 1916.

Gunner Halliday was sent to “Hospital” while in France on 20th May, 1917 with appendicitis. He was transferred to No. 2 Australian Casualty Clearing Station then transferred & admitted to Hospital at Etaples, France on 19th August, 1917 with Nephritis. He was transferred to England on a Hospital Ship on 22nd August, 1917 & admitted to the Beaufort War Hospital, Bristol on 22nd August, 1917 suffering from a severe case of Nephritis. Mrs Halliday was notified that her husband was suffering from Appendicitis but then advised with Nephritis not appendicitis and was seriously ill on 5th September, 1917.

Gunner Henry Frederick Halliday died at 2.20 p.m. on 24th September, 1917 at Beaufort War Hospital, Bristol from Nephritis.

Gunner Henry Frederick Halliday was buried privately at 3 p.m. on 30th September, 1917 at St Mary’s Churchyard, Luckington, Wiltshire. Gunner Halliday’s body was sent to his cousin – Mrs E. Bird of Luckington, near Chippenham, Wiltshire on Thursday 27th September, 1917 by train from Bristol and arrived at Badminton at 11.45 am. He now has a Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone.

(The above is a summary of my research. The full research can be found by following the link below)