Jack McCulloch BRUCE


BRUCE, Jack McCulloch

Service Number: 797
Enlisted: 29 August 1914, Morphettville, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Magill, South Australia, 16 December 1892
Home Town: Terowie, Goyder, South Australia
Schooling: Terowie Public School
Occupation: Butcher
Died: Died of wounds, Malta, 29 July 1915, aged 22 years
Cemetery: Pieta Military Cemetery
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Prospect South Australian Soldiers at Gallipoli Memorial, Terowie Institute Honour Board, Terowie Public School Honor Roll, Victor Harbor Congregational Church Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

29 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Morphettville, South Australia
20 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 797, 10th Infantry Battalion, 'ANZAC' / Gallipoli
20 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 797, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ascanius, Adelaide

Help us honour Jack McCulloch Bruce's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"THE LATE PRIVATE J. M. BRUCE. Victor Harbor, August 5.

Mr. John Bruce, of this town, received word a couple of days ago that his son Jack, who left with the 1st South Australian Expeditionary Force, had been wounded at the Dardanelles. He dispatched a cable message to find out the nature of the injuries and received a reply that his son was not in any danger of losing his life. The following day, however, he was informed by the Rev. W. A. Gordon that his son had died. The young man, whose name was Jack McCulloch Bruce, was 22 years of age and a fine sample of Australian manhood, well proportioned and standing 6 ft. 2 in height. He was amongst the first to volunteer, and left with the first contingent from here. He was in the famous 10th, and took part in the initial landing. In a letter received by his father last week he said he was feeling splendid and was doing sniping duty. This he successfully engaged in for 53 days before being put out of action. Upon receiving his wound he was transferred to Malta, where he died." - from the Adelaide Chronicle 14 Aug 1915 (nla.gov.au)