Service Number: 3072
Enlisted: 13 July 1915
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 12th Infantry Battalion
Born: Stanthorpe, Qld., 1878
Home Town: Kalgoorlie, Kalgoorlie/Boulder, Western Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Accidentally run over by train, Kalgoorlie Government Hospital, Kalgoorlie, WA, 10 April 1922
Cemetery: Kalgoorlie Cemetery, W.A.
Church of England portion
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

13 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 3072, 12th Infantry Battalion
13 Oct 1915: Involvement Private, SN 3072, 12th Infantry Battalion
13 Oct 1915: Embarked Private, SN 3072, 12th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Themistocles, Fremantle

Help us honour Charles Elsworthy's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Before the Deputy Coroner, Mr. E. McGinn, at the Kalgoorlie Court house yesterday, an inquiry was held into the circumstances surrounding the death of Charles Elsworthy, who was found injured alongside the railway line near the Maritana-st. bridge on the night of March 23, and subsequently died at the Government Hospital. Sergt. West conducted the case for the police, and. Mr. A. Yews
represented the Railway Department. John Elsworthy, brother of the deceased, gave evidence of identification. His brother, he stated, was 47 years of age, and was a returned soldier. Dr. S. Mathews, District Medical Officer, said the deceased, Charles Elsworthy, was admitted to the hospital about 9 p.m. on March 23. His left foot had been almost severed above the ankle. Witness amputated the foot next day, but gangrene developed and deceased died of exhaustion on the 10th inst. Deceased was in a debilitated condition when he was brought to the hospital. James Thomas Wipp, an engine-driver on the State railways, stated that on Thursday, March 23, at 9.22 p.m. he was driving a passenger train from Kalgoorlie to Kamballie. About 120 yards north of Maritana street the fireman told him that someone had cried out as though in pain. He stopped the engine within 40 yards and sent the fireman back to see if anything had happened. As the fireman did not return witness went after him. He saw deceased lying three yards from the rails, towards Forrest-street, with his left leg badly crushed. The fireman was speaking to the injured man. Witness asked deceased how it happened, and he replied that he had been asleep. He had been drinking previously and did not know how he had got there.
To Mr. Yews : The accident occurred on the main line to Boulder; not near a public crossing. Ernest David Anderson, a fireman, gave corroborative evidence. He stated that when he spoke to the injured man the latter said, "It is not your fault. I was lying down asleep when the accident happened." Afterwards witness assisted the guard to carry deceased on a stretcher to the hospital. Thomas Andrew Clohessy, a guard on the train, also gave corroborative evidence. John Archibald McGrath, a barman at the Tivoli Hotel, stated that he knew the deceased, and saw him at the hotel about 6 p.m. on  March 23. Deceased went away, returned about 8.30, and left again at 9 o'clock. He did not see Elsworthy again. Constable Hamilton deposed that on March 24 he interviewed the deceased at the Government Hospital. Deceased made a statement, which witness took down, and the deceased signed it. Deceased did not know how the accident occurred. The Deputy Coroner's finding was that Charles Elsworthy come to his death on April 10 , 1922, at the Kalgoorlie Government Hospital from exhaustion, caused from injuries received, by being accidentally run over by a train.