John (Jack) RIDLEY


Service Number: 1099
Enlisted: 10 May 1915
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 19th Infantry Battalion
Born: Milfield, New South Wales, Australia, 3 August 1895
Home Town: West Maitland, Maitland, New South Wales
Schooling: Pelaw Main Public School and Maitland High School, New South Wales, Australia
Occupation: Draper
Died: Pneumonia, Randwick Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 23 April 1918, aged 22 years
Cemetery: Sandgate General Cemetery, Newcastle, NSW
CofE Portion,
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Maitland High School Roll of Honour, Millfield & Sweetman's Creek Memorial Gates
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

10 May 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1099, 19th Infantry Battalion
25 Jun 1915: Involvement Private, 1099, 19th Infantry Battalion
25 Jun 1915: Embarked Private, 1099, 19th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ceramic, Melbourne
10 Oct 1917: Wounded AIF WW1, Private, 19th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres, GSW right knee
30 Jan 1918: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 1099, 19th Infantry Battalion, HT Euripedes, Engalnd for invaliding to Australia - disembarking Melbourne 21 March 1918 then by train to Sydney arriving 22 March 1918.
23 Apr 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 1099, 19th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour John Ridley's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of George and Catherine RIDLEY, West Maitland, New South Wales.

Private John Ridley, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Ridley, of High-street. West Maitland, died In Randwick military hospital this morning. He was invalided home about flve weeks ago. He first suffered  from trench feet, sustained while on service in France, whither he went after the Galllpoll campaign. He was sent to England for hospital treatment. He later returned to the firing line, and was then  wounded in the knee in such a way that it caused his leg to shrink. On the voyage home Private Ridley contracted pneumonia and pleurisy, and was treated as a cot case on his arrival in Sydney. The medical officers wanted to land him at Capetown and later at Melbourne, owing to his illness, but Private Ridley prevailed on them to allow him to complete the voyage, so that he might see his home folk, and when he reached Sydney he was met by his mother, but she was unable to bring her son to Maitland. He was thought to be making progress towards recovery, but on Friday last had a relapse from which he did not rally.
The deceased was 23 years of age, and enlisted when 20 years old. He was one of the firm of Ridley Brothers, mercers, of Maitland, and his father is the head teacher of Pelaw Main public school. Mrs. Ridley was with her son at the tlme of his death, and his father and brother went to Sydney this morning.