Service Number: 93
Enlisted: 12 January 1916, at Adelaide
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 43rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Frederickstadt, Norway, August 1882
Home Town: Port Adelaide, Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 93, 43rd Infantry Battalion, at Adelaide
9 Jun 1916: Involvement Private, 93, 43rd Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '18' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Afric embarkation_ship_number: A19 public_note: ''
9 Jun 1916: Embarked Private, 93, 43rd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Afric, Adelaide

Help us honour Harry Hanson's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Saint Ignatius' College

Harry Hanson Biography.

Harry Hanson was born in Frederick, Norway in 1882. He was a single 33-year-old Labourer living in Port Adelaide, South Australia at the time he enlisted, the 12th of January 1916. Hanson also had a brother named Jacob Hanson who was a young Labourer when he enlisted in the war as well. Hanson was assigned to the 43rd battalion with the service number of 93.

On the 9th of June 1916, Hanson embarked with the 43rd battalion to Egypt on the HMAT A19 Afric. The battalion briefly stopped in Egypt but then arrived in England in July 1916 to complete more training. In England Hanson spent months of high standard training which included lengthy route marches, field operations and trench life. During the first 3 weeks of November the Battalion prepared for departure to France on the 25th.

At Dusk on the 25th of November a trip across the Channel commenced. Once making an entry into the Harbour, Hanson and the battalion followed a route march to No. 1 rest camp where he spent the night. The battalion left the camp at 6:30 the next morning on a train to Bailleul, after a long route the men settled for the night in Billets. The battalion carried out training as they were considered a reserve position.

After months in France, Hanson and the Battalion fought in the Battle of Messines. This battle dated from the 7th of June to the 14th. For the first few days of the battle Hanson was allotted to supply water, ammunition, and engineer material for the other Battalions. Until the 10th of June the 43rd Battalion had no active parts in the battle. On the 10th of June they were ordered to the front line at 5pm. Hanson, with his battalion carefully selected a route to the “Ungodly Trench” which was occupied by the 44th at the time. At the time of arrival intense enemy shell fire was directed at this trench causing casualties in both battalions.  

The battalion began fighting in the Third battle of Ypres. During this time Hanson started to experience problems with Rheumatism/arthritis. Hanson was taken to hospital on multiple occasions because of the issues he faces with his bones. Through this battle Hanson was taken to hospital for Myositis, 4 times.  

Through the rest of 1918 Hanson fought in The Battle of Hamel, Battle of Villers Bretonneux, German Spring Offensive and Hindenburg line. Hanson did not experience any injuries or sicknesses during this period of time and until the end of the war.

After the Third battle of Ypres battle Hanson never had any troubles in the war and fought through each battle until he was discharged for cessation of hostilities. Hanson returned to South Australia on the 10th of April 1919 after his service in WW1. No details are known of his later life.