Anthony (Tony) O'LOUGHLIN M.M


Service Number: 1934
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 12th Infantry Battalion
Born: Pinda, S.A., Australia , 1 October 1888
Home Town: Morchard, Orroroo/Carrieton, South Australia
Schooling: Morchard school, SA
Occupation: Station Hand
Died: Orroroo, S.A., Australia, 1 January 1958, aged 69 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Orroroo Cemetery, S.A.
Memorials: Bangor WW1 Honor Roll, Melrose Memorial Institute Honour Roll, Orroroo District Roll of Honour WW1, Orroroo Morchard Men Roll of Honor, Orroroo Morchard Public School Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Apr 1915: Involvement Private, 1934, 12th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '10' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Port Lincoln embarkation_ship_number: A17 public_note: ''
1 Apr 1915: Embarked Private, 1934, 12th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Port Lincoln, Adelaide
Date unknown: Wounded 1934, 12th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Anthony O'Loughlin's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Izaac Hampell

Anthony O'Loughlin was born on the 1st of October, 1888 in Pinda, South Australia. His parents were Anthony and Ann (Annie) O'Loughlin. Anthony was raised on a small station just north of Morchard, SA with his 8 other brothers and sisters. His older siblings Mary Gertrude born in 1878, Ann (1879), Bridget Agnes (1882), and his brothers John, and Michael Francis (1888), Anthony was later born in 1888. His three younger siblings Hanora (18910, William (1893), and Ellen (1894).

Anthony worked as a station hand before the was and he enlisted on the 19th of January, 1915, at the age of twenty-five. He was 5'11' 1/2 with dark hair and grey eyes, with a dark complexion. He was assigned to the 5th Reinforcement of the 12th Battalion. 

On the 19th of January, 1915, he embarked on a ship, headed for the Middle East. He arrived at Gallipoli on 25 of April, 1915. Anthony survived the Gallipoli campaign and was evacuated unharmed.

Anthony was then sent to fight on the Western front. He was wounded on 21st June 1916 with gun shot wound to his thigh and hip and was hospitalised. He returned to the field and was again hospitalised sick on 13th August 1916. He recovered and returned to battle being promoted to Lance Corporal 7th June 1917 but soon after at his own request returned to the rank of Private 15th August 1917

Mrs. Ann O'Loughlin received word from the Military authorities, that Anthony (Tony) had received a Military Medal for conspicuous bravery on the field of action on 26th March 1916. Some time later she was again notified that he was awarded a bar to his Military Metal, for furture bravery in action.

Anthony was sent back top Australia on 12th March 1918 after two months in hospital. His records report he was suffering from injuries sustained to his lungs from gun shot wounds. He was discharged in Australia 6th June 1918. 

Anthony O'Loughlin married Olive Fielding on the 8th of June,1918. They worked for B. S. McCallum for a few years and lived on Sec. 28,Hd. Coomooroo. The section is still known locally as "O'Loughlin's". Tony (Anthony) and Olive later had a family of three children Margaret (1918), Jack (1920), Laurie (1922), and Lenard (1924) who sadly passed away a year later. They then moved to Pinda, where Olive would then sadly pass away some time later. 

Anthony moved back to Morchard with his children, and his mother Ann O'Loughlin passed away in March 1932 .

Anthony then married Margaret Fielding, who is possibly Olive's sister, on the 15th Nov, 1932, they then had four children Barbara (1933), Valerie (1935) who passed away that same year, Ronald Geffrey (1936), and Neol Francis (1943).

Anthony worked for the Orroroo District Council, and for several years drove a horse-drawn grader. Tony also helped farmers with droving, bag-sewing, and more. After the Morchard School closed, the O'Loughlins moved to Orroroo.

Anthony's eldest son, Jack, enlisted to fight in WW2. He was captured in Java on the 12th of March, 1942, becoming a P.O.W. in "Moulmein", Burma. While Jack was in Tarsao, another Thailand jungle camp, he Assisted Private Bob Fox to make Artificial limbs for fellow prisoners. He was then known as Curly O'loughlin, he was also given a rousing welcome home in 1945

Margaret, Anthony's eldest child apassed away at the age of 27. About 4 years later his youngest child, Noel Francis died in 1949.

All of Anthony's other children married, Jack married Maxine Haynes of Orroroo and they had three sons and two daughters. Laurie married Lena Hamdorf, and had a son and a daughter, they lived in Woodville. Barbara married James Stock, they lived in Whyalla with their three daughters and two sons. And Geoff married Margaret Teague, and they lived in Orroroo with their son, Anthony. 

At the age of 69 Anthony (Tony) O'Loughlin passed away on the 1st of January, 1958, and was buried in the Orroroo Cemetery.

All his children have now passed away, the most recent passing in 2017.