John Edward (Jack) TUCKER


TUCKER, John Edward

Service Number: 3761
Enlisted: 21 February 1917, Bathurst, New South Wales
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 45th Infantry Battalion
Born: Alectown, New South Wales, 22 September 1898
Home Town: Coolah, Warrumbungle Shire, New South Wales
Schooling: Coolah Public School
Occupation: Station hand
Died: Killed in Action, France, 18 August 1918, aged 19 years
Cemetery: Fouquescourt British Cemetery
Fouquescourt British Cemetery, Fouquescourt, Picardie, France, Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres, Picardie, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Coolah Memorial School of Arts HR1
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

21 Feb 1917: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 3761, Bathurst, New South Wales
10 May 1917: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 3761, 45th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
10 May 1917: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 3761, 45th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Marathon, Sydney
17 Aug 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 3761, 45th Infantry Battalion, "The Last Hundred Days"

Help us honour John Edward Tucker's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"...Born in September 1898 at Alectown near Parkes in New South Wales, John Tucker, or Jack, as he was fondly known, was the eldest son to parents John and Minnie. Jack grew up in Coolah, where his father ran the police station. Jack attended the local public school, and was working as a station hand when he enlisted in the AIF in February 1917.

Jack was assigned to the 10th reinforcements to the 45th Battalion. He left Sydney in May 1917 on the transport ship Marathon and, after a period of training in England, was sent to France in October. He was taken on strength of his battalion in November but soon fell ill, and was admitted to hospital in England in December suffering from nephritis.

Jack stayed in England for several months to recuperate and participate in extra training. He returned to France in April 1918 and re-joined his battalion just as it was recovering from the fighting around Dernancourt, a village on the River Ancre in France.

Several months later, in early August 1918, the allies launched a major offensive against the Germans. Australian forces, including the 45th Battalion, were involved in the fighting near Amiens.

The series of attacks at Amiens were an overwhelming success for the allies and dealt a decisive blow to the Germans. German general Erich Ludendorff called it “the black day of the German Army”.

After the main battle troops of the 45th Battalion were able to rest, bathe, and eat a warm meal. But localised fighting continued and the 45th was soon back in action.

Jack was killed during the 45th Battalion’s time in the front lines at Harbonnières on 17 August 1918. The exact particulars of his death are not known, but at least one witness said that Jack was killed by a sniper. He was 19 years old.

Jack was buried close to the battlefield, but after the war his grave was relocated to Fouquescourt British Cemetery, where he rests today..." - READ MORE LINK (