Charles HAINES

HAINES, Charles

Service Number: 2916
Enlisted: 23 February 1916
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 29th Infantry Battalion
Born: Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1 May 1900
Home Town: Murrumbeena, Glen Eira, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Caulfield Military Hospital, Caulfield, Victoria, Australia, 16 March 1926, aged 25 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

23 Feb 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 2916, 29th Infantry Battalion
4 Apr 1916: Involvement Private, SN 2916, 29th Infantry Battalion
4 Apr 1916: Embarked Private, SN 2916, 29th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Euripides, Melbourne

Help us honour Charles Haines's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Stephen Brooks

Bernard Haines from Murrumbeena who enlisted at 14, serving as Charles Haines, sailed off to war aged 15 and was shot by Germans in the leg, in February 1917 requiring an amputation at the thigh when he was 16. Other serious wounds meant he was eventually shipped home. He had 41 operations at Caulfield Hospital and died there in 1926. He was 25 years old.

The Argus (Melbourne), 18 March 1926 EIGHT YEARS IN HOSPITAL
Military Patient's Death
General regret is expressed at the Caulfield Military Hospital at the death, on Tuesday afternoon, of Bernard Haines, who has been an inmate of the hospital for eight years. "Babe" Haines, as he was known, underwent 40 operations at the hospital, but was, nevertheless, one of the most cheerful patients, and was very popular with all. Shortly after the war broke out Haines enlisted, and sailed with the 20th Infantry Brigade of the A.I.F. He was then aged only 14 years, and for which reason that he was later referred to as "Babe." Soon after he landed in Egypt he was transferred to France, and at Bapaume, in 1917, after two years of service abroad, he was seriously wounded. It was found necessary to amputate one of his legs, and soon afterwards he returned to Australia, and was sent, eventually, to the Caulfield Hospital. He spent much of his time in the hospital in endeavouring to alleviate the sufferings of others. Soon after he entered the hospital he took woodcarving and art leather work as hobbies, and became very proficient in both.