Arthur Henry MCKENZE

MCKENZE, Arthur Henry

Service Number: 2942
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 45th Infantry Battalion (WW1)
Born: Lithgow, New South Wales, Australia, 28 February 1897
Home Town: Chatswood, Willoughby, New South Wales
Schooling: Greenwood State Primary School North Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Occupation: PMG Foreman
Died: Bronchitis, Chatswood, New South Wales, Australia, 9 May 1958, aged 61 years
Cemetery: Northern Suburbs Memorial Gardens and Crematorium, NSW
Plot: South West Terrace Wall 29.
Memorials: East Killara North Sydney Technical High School WW1 Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 Nov 1916: Involvement Private, 2942, 45th Infantry Battalion (WW1), --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '19' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: SS Port Nicholson embarkation_ship_number: '' public_note: ''
8 Nov 1916: Embarked Private, 2942, 45th Infantry Battalion (WW1), SS Port Nicholson, Sydney

Help us honour Arthur Henry McKenze's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Jaclynn Hunt

From a letter found in his belongings:

Y.M.C.A. H.M. Forces on Active Service. Reply to 13795 Company of A.M.C. Bar A.I.F. Reg. Stationed at Park House Camp No 2 Salisbury Wilts England. June 13th 1916. 

Dear Daisy, Hoping that this finds you all well the same as I am. We were moved from Egypt because it was a terrible place for illness. It was 120 degrees in the shade. Well, we left on 27th May at 8 o'clock in cattle trucks. We were in Tel-El-Kebir for 3 weeks and it was quite long enough. Well we had a lovely trip from Alexandria to here. We left Alexandria the 29th May for here, we were 2 days on the water. We called at Gibralter and it was a beuatiful sight, the rock is nearly 3000 ft height and we were in port for 37 hours and then sailed again. Then our next stop was Devonport then we disembarked at 7 o'clock and it was 10.30 pm when we embarked into the train. It was 4.30 in the morning when we arrived at Tidesworth and it was daylight at 3.30 an hour before we arrived. This is the best country I have been in because it is twilight up to about 10.30. You can walk for miles and see all green fields and farms. It is a beautiful place to live in as it is a bit cold first thing in the morning but you soon get warm after you have a little walk around. I cannot explain to you how I love this country and I would like to have you over here to enjoy the beautiful fresh air. we have a beautiful camping ground and another thing, we have huts to sleep in and they are as comfortable as a house. On our way in the train about 1.30 in the morning, we all received our water bottles half full of hot tea and a bun from this person of whom I enclose a little card and please keep it until I return and I will tell you more about it. This is all the news this time. So. Good. Bye. I remain your Departed Friend.