Wilfred Henry (Billy) BAKER

BAKER, Wilfred Henry

Service Number: 1306
Enlisted: 12 November 1914, Liverpool, New South Wales
Last Rank: Shoeing-Smith
Last Unit: 1st Australian Army Service Corps Company
Born: Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, 7 August 1894
Home Town: Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farrier
Died: Natural causes (cardiac disease), Granville, New South Wales, Australia , 2 June 1947, aged 52 years
Cemetery: Rookwood Cemetery & Crematorium
Anglican Section - 16, Grave 4025
Memorials: Wagga Wagga St. John's Club Roll of Honour, Wagga Wagga Victory Memorial Arch
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Nov 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1306, Liverpool, New South Wales
11 Feb 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Corporal, 1306, 13th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
11 Feb 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Corporal, 1306, 13th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Seang Bee, Sydney
3 May 1915: Wounded AIF WW1, Corporal, 1306, 13th Infantry Battalion, ANZAC / Gallipoli
2 Aug 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Farrier, 2nd Divisional Train
7 Apr 1917: Transferred 13th Infantry Battalion, Served in France 7 April 1917
31 Mar 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Shoeing-Smith, 1306, 1st Australian Army Service Corps Company

Wilfred Henry Baker

Born 7 August 1894
Wagga Wagga New South Wales Australia
Mother Mary Ann Carney
Father Aaron James Baker ( known as Bill)
Date of enlistment 13 November 1914
Date of embarkation 11 February 1915
Ship Name Sea Bee Ship A48
Corporal pay number 1306
13th Infantry Ballatlion 1 to 8 reinforcements
Married to Florence Mary Keough on the 14 June 1919
Death 2 June 1947

Showing 1 of 1 story

Biography contributed by Jennifer Rourke

When Wilfred Henry Baker was born on 7 August 1894 in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia his father, Aaron, was 31 and his mother, Mary, was 25. He married Florence Mary Keough on 14 June 1919, Florence was born on the 3 March 1892 and died on the 30 January 1982 New South Wales, Australia. They had two children during their marriage. Wilfred Henry died on 2 June 1947 in Granville, New South Wales, Australlia at the age of 52
Wilfred’s Henry Baker Mother was Mary Ann Carney ( 1869 – 1922)  his Father was  Aaron James Baker (31 July 1863 – 7 July 1948)
Registration Number 34427/1894 Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00342-5 , System Origin: Australia-Easy , GS Film number: 992916 , Reference ID: P149 N981

Wilfred Henry Baker enlisted in the military in 1914 in Liverpool, New South Wales, when he was 20 years old
Date of listing for WW1

Joined as a private

was prompted to Corporal on the 1 January 1915  and was Acting Sergeant on the               11 February 1917,Etaples, Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Wilfred’s daughter was born on the 21 November 1919. Myrene died on the 6 November 1938.
Wilfred’s son was born on the 12 August 1921. Wilfred died on the 12 May 1984.
As I have been researching my family history for some time and of landing at Gallipoli I thought I would write about my Grandfather’s courage and bravery not only did he fight for his country at Gallipoli he also fought in France.
My Grandfather was Wilfred Henry Baker who was born on the 7 August  1894 in Wagga, Wagga, in New South Wales.
He enlisted to fight for his country at Liverpool New South Wales on the 13thNovember 1914 joined as a Private promoted to Corporal in January 1915 again promoted to Sergeant in April 1917.
He embarked on his journey to ANZAC COVE on the ship HMAT Seang Bee ship number A48 on the 11 February 1915 with the 13thInfantry Battalion 2ndReinforcements with the Australian Imperial Forces Egypt from there he went to Gallipoli.
His war medical records show he was wounded in his spine /legs at Gallipoli on the 2 May 1915 and was sent to Harefield Hospital in England to recover, he did not arrived there until the 20 August 1915, he was paralysed for five months unable to walk. He recovered and was sent to another hospital for rehabilitation. He was listed fit for active duty again on the on the 2 June 1916.
My Grandfather was then sent to France his war records show he was with the AGBD Etaples 1stANZAC Entrenching Battalion he was again fit for active duty on the 6 November 1917. Returned to Australian on the 30 January 1919.
My Grandfather survived all this and passed away on the 2 June 1947.
I believe my Grandfather was an ordinary extraordinary man, not only to survive being wounded at Gallipoli. He must have had a lot of courage and must have been very brave not only to fight at Gallipoli but also in France.
In my research about Gallipoli I have found that it says that the precise details of the fighting on the 25th April have never been determined. The ANZAC’s forced their way up narrow tracks and gulley’s to overlook the beach. The Turkish troops attacked. The ANZAC’s finally withdrew their soldier’s in December 1915.
The 13th Battalion saw action in a number of major battles. They were involved in at Pozieres in August 1916.The 13th Battalion was involved at the outset, taking part in the fighting around Amiens in August 1918; this was a success and helped gain ground on the WesternFront.
On 11 November 1918, an armistice was declared and the fighting ended. During the war, the battalion lost 1,090 men killed and 2,128 wounded.