Richard James MCGUARR

MCGUARR, Richard James

Service Number: 3873
Enlisted: 4 October 1915, Lismore, NSW
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 55th Infantry Battalion
Born: Lismore, New South Wales, Australia, 1889
Home Town: Sydney, City of Sydney, New South Wales
Schooling: Cleveland Street Superior School Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Occupation: Dairy Farmer
Died: Killed in Action, France, 20 July 1916
Cemetery: Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery
His remains were positively identified in 2023 and have been re-interred at the Pheasant Wood Cemetery on 20 July 2023. Previously listed at VC Corner Cemetery and Memorial, Fromelles, Lille, Nord Pas de Calais, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

4 Oct 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 3873, 19th Infantry Battalion, Lismore, NSW
20 Jan 1916: Involvement Private, 3873, 19th Infantry Battalion
20 Jan 1916: Embarked Private, 3873, 19th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Runic, Sydney
20 Jul 1916: Involvement Private, 3873, 55th Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Involvement 55th Infantry Battalion, Fromelles (Fleurbaix)

Help us honour Richard James McGuarr's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Richard and Elizabeth McGUARR of Lismore, NSW

Statement, 2677 Pte O. HODGSON, 55th Bn (patient, Northants War Hospital, Duston, England), 13 November [1916]: 'Informant states that on July 20/16 at Vermelles (sic) McGuarr was shot in the stomach just over our own front line which was the old German line of trenches. He did not see him afterwards but heard that he had died.'

Second statement, 2677 Pte O. HODGSON, 55th Bn (now patient, 3rd Australian Auxiliary Hospital, Darford, England), 8 December 1916: 'Witness states that early in the morning of July 20th he saw the above lying desperately wounded between the German lines and our at Fromelles. He was so badly hit about the body, particularly in the stomach, that he must have died almost immediately after they left him. Witness helped cover him with a coat.'