Norman Vivian TURNER

Badge Number: S8528, Sub Branch: PROSPECT

TURNER, Norman Vivian

Service Number: 1439
Enlisted: 12 January 1916, Inverell, New South Wales
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 33rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Inverell, New South Wales, 24 October 1888
Home Town: Belmore, Canterbury, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Station Overseer (Lisgar station, Coolatai)
Died: Natural causes (war service related), Belmore, New South Wales, 19 January 1969, aged 80 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Inverell Intermediate High School Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

12 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1439, 33rd Infantry Battalion, Inverell, New South Wales
4 May 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 1439, 33rd Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '17' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Marathon embarkation_ship_number: A74 public_note: ''
4 May 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, 1439, 33rd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Marathon, Sydney
18 Apr 1918: Wounded Villers-Bretonneux, Gas
12 May 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Private, 1439, 33rd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Norman Vivian Turner's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Norman's birth was registered at Inverell in 1888. His parents, William and Susan, lived at Delungra NSW. When Norman enlisted in December 1915, he was a twenty six  year old single man working as a Farm Overseer. He joined other district men known as the First Contingent of the Kurrajongs who left Inverell together on the 12th. January 1916 for the Narrabri and Armidale camps.

He became a member of the 33rd. Battalion, Headquarters Signal Section. The Battalion trained at Armidale and Rutherford prior to sailing from Australia on HMAT A74 Marathon in May 1916. After nine weeks at sea they arrived in England and were transferred to Salisbury Plain where further training took place until the Battalion was sent to France in November.

In February 1917 Norman was hospitalised for treatment of scabies, which many men suffered from in the trenches. He returned to his unit and in April 1918 was severely gassed at Villers-Bretonneux on the 18th. of April 1918. As a result he was invalided to King George Hospital, Stamford St. England, then transferred to 3 Australian Auxillary Hospital at Dartford for treatment.

Norman returned home by the ship Ulysses suffering defective vision and was medically discharged in May 1919 and suffered progressive blindness later in life. Seven months later he married Ellen Constable at Delungra. During the early 1930s he was living at Belmore, Sydney and working in the postal service. Norman died in Sydney in 1969.

Private Norman Turner is remembered at Inverell where his name is inscribed on the town's Honor Roll.