John Stanley Douglas ANGUS

Badge Number: 20124, Sub Branch: Ardrossan

ANGUS, John Stanley Douglas

Service Number: 3331
Enlisted: 31 August 1915, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Lieutenant
Last Unit: Royal Flying Corps
Born: Millicent, South Australia, 24 November 1889
Home Town: Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Accountant
Died: Natural causes, Daw Park, South Australia, 17 March 1974, aged 84 years
Cemetery: Centennial Park - South Australian Garden of Remembrance
Cremated at Centennial Park
Memorials: Adelaide Scots Church WW1 Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

31 Aug 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 3331, Adelaide, South Australia
27 Oct 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 3331, 16th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
27 Oct 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 3331, 16th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Benalla, Adelaide
3 Mar 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Private, 48th Infantry Battalion
11 Apr 1917: Discharged AIF WW1, 48th Infantry Battalion
12 Apr 1917: Promoted Royal Flying Corps, Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps

Except from his memoirs

I went away October 1915 on “Benalla” with 11/16th, joined the 16th Battalion at Moa scar, Egypt in January 1916.

Drafted to the 48th Batallion at Tslal Kobir in March 1916. Col (brother) joined me in 48th in April. We both served as signallers. In June 1916 we sailed from Alexandria to Marseilles and entrained for Meterin in northern France. Upon arrival at Meterin, Col was sent off to Hospital in England , having had a severe case of dysentery.

I joined the 12th Batt.H.Q. We served in turn at Fleurbaix, then Pozieres, then Reningholst and Laclyte. Finally at Flesselles, while out of the line I was transferred to the Royal Flying Corps. After 10 days leave in England I reported to the RFC Cadet Wing at Denham. Here we Australian cadets (104) had 2 months training to fit us for Commissioned Rank.

At the end of the period, on the eve of leaving for Oxford, 6 of us were kept back for a further month owing to being absent from camp the previous night. After the further month we moved onto Oxford for a further 2 months where we received instruction in various matters relative to flying and its relation to war. I was first quartered at Jesus College, then Queens then Exeter.

I was commissioned on 13 April 1917 and posted to Hendon. I took my ticket on 14 June but crashed on landing caused by an engine failure when low down. I was posted to Harling Road in Norfolk for Advanced Training. This was late in October 1917 and weather often kept us on the ground.

My progress was delayed by a couple of visits to hospital and eventually in March 1918 in hospital again classed “O.I.” and washed out from flying as I could not keep fit.

Showing 1 of 1 story