John Thomas (Jack) PENDER

PENDER, John Thomas

Service Number: 11268
Enlisted: 17 January 1916, Sydney, New South Wales
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 3rd Divisional Train
Born: Parkes, New South Wales, 21 November 1891
Home Town: Parkes, Parkes, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Mechanic
Died: Leukemia (war service related), Campsie, New South Wales, 23 January 1928, aged 36 years
Cemetery: Parkes Cemetery, NSW
Pbn Row: NN - Memorial ID 123595538
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

17 Jan 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 11268, Sydney, New South Wales
30 May 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Driver, SN 11268, 3rd Divisional Train, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
30 May 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Driver, SN 11268, 3rd Divisional Train, HMAT Persic, Sydney
29 Feb 1920: Discharged AIF WW1, Corporal, SN 11268, 3rd Divisional Train

Help us honour John Thomas Pender's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Cressida Toorenburg

Son of James and Emma


A well-known and popular resident of Parkes, Mr. John T. Pender, passed away at 10 o'clock on Monday morning at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Claude Watts, in Campsie. A native of Parkes, tho late .J. T. Pender, who was 36 years of age was the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Pender, who reside on Forbes road. At the age of 23 he joined the Australian A.S.C. for France, and two years later (in 1917) waa transferred to the Australian Artillery. In both corps he had an excellent record. Before leaving for the front he married in 1915 Miss Betty Johnson, who, during his absence, carried on a confectionery business at Neutral Bay.

Upon his return to Australia, Mr. and Mrs. Pender took up residence in Parkes and Jack, as he was familiarly known, secured a position with Mr. Chris Terone as a motor mechanic. His marked ability and sound knowledge of motors soon placed him in the first rank of mechanics, and within a few years he was appointed foreman. Four years active service abroad, however had impaired his health, which was causing no little concern both to his wife and friends. Six months ago, in partnership with his brother-in-law, Mr. Garlick, he started a motor business at Peak Hill, but his health was rapidly failing, and in December last, he was removed to St. Vincent's Hospital Sydney, thence to the Military Hospital at Randwick, where no hope was entertained for his recovery.

Throughout the Christmas holidays Mrs. Pender was by his side, hut she returned to Parkes last Thursday, when his condition was said to be improving On Sunday morning Mrs. Pender, in response to an urgent call, hurried to her husband's bedside, and was with him at the end. The remains, which arrived in Parkes by Tuesday morning's train, were taken to the Presbyterian Church, where a short service conducted by the Rev. Charles Nash, was held at 3 o'clock. The hymn, "Nearer my God to Thee," chosen by his wife, was feelingly sung by the Masonic choir. The cortege then proceeded to the Presbyterian cemetery, where the Rev. Nash performed the last sad rites at the graveside, and the Rev. W. B. Roden conducted a special Masonic service. The coffin bearers were Messrs. Chris Terone, M. Stack and six fellow employees, while the burial arrangements were in the hands of Mr. J. T. Cock. The cortege included returned soldiers of the district, members of the Masonic Lodge, and fellow employees of Terone's garage. The late Mr. Pender was a Pastmaster in the "Star of the West" and the Royal Arch Lodge, of which he was a foundation member.

Deceased leaves, besides a sorrowing wife, three little children, Voila, aged 7, Betty, aged 4, and Elsie, the youngest, who is 3 years of age. We join in extending our sympathy to the relatives in their irretrievable loss." - from the Parkes Western Champion 26 Jan 1928 (