Harold Chandos READE

READE, Harold Chandos

Service Number: 1782
Enlisted: 7 July 1915, Melbourne, Victoria
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 2nd Pioneer Battalion
Born: Eaglehawk, Victoria, 1877
Home Town: St Kilda East, Port Phillip, Victoria
Schooling: Melbourne C of E Grammar School
Occupation: Clerk
Died: Killed in Action, France, 5 October 1918
Cemetery: Calvaire Cemetery, Montbrehain, France
B 13, Calvaire Cemetery, Montbrehain, Picardie, France
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Melbourne Grammar School WW1 Fallen Honour Roll
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

7 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1782, Melbourne, Victoria
8 Apr 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Sapper, 1782, 2nd Pioneer Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
8 Apr 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Sapper, 1782, 2nd Pioneer Battalion, HMAT Aeneas, Melbourne
5 Oct 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, 1782, 2nd Pioneer Battalion, Montbrehain

Help us honour Harold Chandos Reade's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Sharyn Roberts

HAROLD CHANDOS READE who was killed in action in France on 5th October 1918 was the son of  George READE & Emily RUTTA.

He was born in 1877. In about 1895 he went to Western Australia for two years and then entered the service of the Trustees, Executors and Agency Co., where he was an accountant when he enlisted.

He was in camp for some time and then left as Sergeant of Reinforcements of the 2nd Pioneers. He held a staff engagement as Sergeant-Major till August 1917. He took part in the heavy fighting before Ypres in September and October 1917 and then held a staff engagement at battalion headquarters. Subsequently he was occupied with duties in London, and then in September 1918 was able to obtain his desire to return to the fighting front.

On 5th October his battalion was attacking a village strongly held by the enemy, and his company had the "mopping up" to do. His platoon rushed a machine gun post, but he received head wounds which caused instant death. His commanding officer wrote: "I found him a true little gentleman and a brave soldier, conscientious and scrupulous to a degree, and universally respected by his comrades."