George Henry ABRAHAM

ABRAHAM, George Henry

Service Number: 7105
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 2nd/2nd Infantry Battalion
Born: London, England, November 1894
Home Town: Double Bay, Woollahra, New South Wales
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Dairy Farmer
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

9 Nov 1916: Involvement Private, 7105, 2nd Infantry Battalion
9 Nov 1916: Embarked Private, 7105, 2nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Benalla, Sydney
31 May 1919: Embarked AIF WW1, 7105, 2nd/2nd Infantry Battalion, Embarked on HJ Aeneas back to Australia.

Help us honour George Henry Abraham's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Gul Zehra

George Henry Abraham was a model soldier of the AIF. He was born in Holloway London, England, 1894 in the month of November. Abraham grew up with his sister, Annie, who later, during the war, married becoming Annie Elliot. George was a dairy farmer prior to enlistment. Abraham moved to Australia and lived on Double Bay Dairy, Lower 4th Street Woollahra, Sydney.

George enlisted with the AIF in Sydney at the R.S.A.G on the 19th July, 1916, three years into the war. Abraham's Attestation Paper was completed on the 9th November, 1916, and was enrolled into the AIF and issued the service number of 7105 and the rank of a private. Abraham embarked to the war on the HMAT A24 Benalla.

Abraham disembarked in Devonport, Pymouth on 1st November, 1917. During his stay, he was convicted of being absent without leave - attempting to travel by train without a pass - in Andover, England on 4th March, 1917. He was arrested and held in custody for several days.

Abraham proceeded to France on 3rd May, 1917 where he was taken on strength by the 2nd Battalion, 23rd Reinforcement on 11th May, 1917. It is assumed that during this time, George was either injured or severely sick as he was hospitalized in France 23rd July, 1917. Abraham rejoined his Battalion on the 25th September, 1917.

On the 16th of February 1918, George was sent to the UK on furlough, most likely to have stayed with his sister, Annie, in London. He rejoined his Battalion on the 7th March 1918. Within three days, he was detached from duty and sent to a Canadian tunnel company on 10th March 1918, rejoining his Battalion on 2nd April, 1918.

Following the war, Abraham returned to Australia on board the  Aeneas, embarking on 31st May, 1919, most likely to have disembarking on 12th July, 1919.

On 3rd July 1920, a letter was sent to the Secretary of Defense advising that Abraham was deceased. They asked for confirmation on this and if so approved, asked for a death certificate to be printed. On 15th July, 1920, 12 days later, the Secretary of Defense replied by stating that no advice had been received on the effect that Abraham had died. The whereabouts of Abraham since this point were unknown.

George Henry Abraham was awarded a British War Medal and a Victory Medal. Let him be remembered for his service at the Western Front and the sacrifices he made for a better and peaceful future.