Edward Broughton ALLCHURCH

Badge Number: S15278, Sub Branch: Tatiara

ALLCHURCH, Edward Broughton

Service Number: 842
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 56th Infantry Battalion
Born: Port Broughton, South Australia, 30 June 1890
Home Town: Port Broughton, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Bordertown, South Australia, 27 December 1961, aged 71 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Bordertown Cemetery
Memorials: Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Apr 1915: Involvement Private, SN 842, 9th Light Horse Regiment
1 Apr 1915: Embarked Private, SN 842, 9th Light Horse Regiment, HMAT Port Lincoln, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, SN 842, 56th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Edward Broughton Allchurch's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Edward Broughton Allchurch was the son of Henry and Lucy Jane Allchurch of Port Broughton.  Edward was born at Port Broughton on 30 June 1890. A farmer, he was 24 years old when he enlisted at Oaklands on 30 November 1914.


At Oaklands he was appointed to 4th Reinforcements/9th Light Horse Regiment and embarked from Adelaide on 1 April 1915. Edward was wounded in action in an engagement at Gallipoli and was evacuated to the island of Mudros with a bayonet wound to the head.

On 30 August he embarked for England aboard the SS Huntsgreen and on arriving in London was admitted to King George Hospital in Stamford Street. Six months later Edward had recovered from his wounds and on his return to Heliopolis was taken on strength with 5th Division Ammunition Column. He was appointed a driver and posted to 3 Section.

In June 1916 Edward proceeded overseas  to join the British Expeditionary Force fighting in France.  After 9 months Edward was sent to 1st Anzac Trench Mortar School for instruction. On 19 January 1918 he transferred to 56 Battalion AIF and was remustered as a gunner. During the following months 56 Battalion fought at Villers-Bretonneux and was later instrumental in the capture of Perrone. In August 1918 Edward spent a week in 4th Army Rest Camp before returning to the front where 56 Battalion became engaged in the battle of St Quentin Canal.

9 days after the armistice Edward was admitted to 3 Australian General Hospital suffering from appendicitis. Edward embarked aboard HS Delta for his return to Australia on 24 January 1919 and disembarked on 5 March. He was discharged on 24 June 1919.