Clifford Francis MCDONALD

Badge Number: SAID133, Sub Branch: Kadina

MCDONALD, Clifford Francis

Service Number: 6294
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 27th Infantry Battalion
Born: Workurna, South Australia, 17 April 1897
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: 12 November 1976, aged 79 years, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Kadina Cemetery, South Australia
Path 59 Block 47
Memorials: Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

28 Aug 1916: Involvement Private, 6294, 10th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '10' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Anchises embarkation_ship_number: A68 public_note: ''
28 Aug 1916: Embarked Private, 6294, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Anchises, Adelaide
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 6294, 27th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Clifford Francis McDonald's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Sharyn Roberts

Son of George McDONALD and Elizabeth nee SOMERVILLE

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Cliff was born at Wokurna on 17 April 1897. A farmer, he was 19 years old when he enlisted in Adelaide on 21 June 1916.

Appointed to 20th Reinforcements 10 Battalion he embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A68 “Anchises” on 28 August 1916 and disembarked at Plymouth, England, on 13 October.  He proceeded overseas to France on 17 December and was taken on strength of 27 Battalion on 1 January 1917. At Bullecourt on 5 May Cliff was on duty on outpost work when he was hit by a piece of shell. His right foot was shattered and he was also hit on his left forearm and just above his knee joint. Cliff’s foot was amputated at 3 Casualty Clearing Station and a piece of shell was later removed from his knee. Ten days later he was invalided to England and admitted to Middlesex War Hospital. On 10 October 1917 Cliff embarked aboard HMAT A38 “Ulysses” for his return to Australia and discharge. He was discharged on 6 May 1918.