Clifford JACOBS


JACOBS, Clifford

Service Numbers: 1933, 1933A
Enlisted: 27 March 1916
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 43rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Cherry Gardens, South Australia, date not yet discovered
Home Town: Cherry Gardens, Onkaparinga, South Australia
Schooling: Cherry Gardens Public School, South Australia
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Died of wounds, France, 29 September 1918, age not yet discovered
Cemetery: Etretat Churchyard Extension
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Cherry Gardens Uniting Church WW1 Memorial Stained Glass Window, Cherry Gardens WW1 Memorial, Cherry Gardens WW1 Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

27 Mar 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private
12 Aug 1916: Involvement Private, SN 1933, 50th Infantry Battalion
12 Aug 1916: Embarked Private, SN 1933, 50th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ballarat, Adelaide
29 Sep 1918: Involvement Private, SN 1933A, 43rd Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Clifford Jacobs's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Clifford Jacobs enlisted for the Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) on the 27th March 1916 in Cherry Gardens, South Australia. His Regimental number was 1933A and he joined the 43rd Battalion Australian Infantry, for the term of the war. His parents were Thomas & Maria Jacobs from Cherry Gardens. Clifford was 21 years and 5 months old when he enlisted and had a “fresh” complexion with grey eyes and brown hair whose occupation was a labourer. He was just over 5ft 11ins tall and weighed 138lbs. On his medical history it was noted that Clifford had good eyesight and four vaccination scars on his left arm. His teeth were in good condition with just one cavity that needed filling. Clifford’s religious denomination was Methodist. Clifford embarked for the war on 12th August 1916 on the “Ballarat” out of Adelaide arriving in Devonport, England, on 30th September 1916. He remained in England until the 25th November when he proceeded overseas to France. He was taken on strength immediately and was sent to the front line where he remained until the 6th July 1917 when he was wounded by gunfire but as it did not penetrate he remained on duty. He was wounded again almost exactly one month later at Wimereux with a gun shot wound to his side and with this wound he was transferred to England to the 5th Northern General Hospital in Leicester. He remained in England until 10th November when he was returned to France and his Battalion. He returned to England for two weeks leave on 20th March 1918 then back to France again. He was wounded in action for the third time on 26th May 1918 but this time by gas. After several weeks of treatment he returned to his Battalion on 17th July and returned to the front line again. Then on 1st September 1918 Clifford was wounded by gunfire again but this time to his abdomen. On the 12th September he was transferred to the 1st General Hospital located at Etretat on the French coast but after fighting for his life for nearly one month on 29th September 1918, just a couple of months before the end of the war, at 1.35am Clifford died from his injuries. Clifford had been in serving in France for just over two years.
Clifford had prepared his last will and testament on 24th June 1916 naming his father as sole benefactor. Clifford’s only personal effects were 1 identity disc, a fountain pen, aluminum drinking cup, a knife, purse, metal chain, a YMCA wallet, cards, 1 letter, a pendant, 5 coins, a penny stamp, a metal souvenir, a song book, devotional book, cap comforter, scarf and 1 parcel containing 2 razor straps, 1 hone and these effects were returned to his parents back in Australia.