Edward Henry BUCKLAND

Badge Number: 4876

BUCKLAND, Edward Henry

Service Number: 1730
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Dairy Flat, South Australia, 1874
Home Town: Bews, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: 1 November 1952, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Maldon General Cemetery, Victoria
Memorials: Alford District of Ninnes Honour Board, Bute District Council WW1 Roll of Honor, Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Apr 1915: Involvement Private, 1730, 10th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '10' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Port Lincoln embarkation_ship_number: A17 public_note: ''
1 Apr 1915: Embarked Private, 1730, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Port Lincoln, Adelaide

Help us honour Edward Henry Buckland's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Edward Henry Buckland was the son of Henry and Elizabeth Buckland of Yankalilla. Both parents were deceased and Edward was living with his sister Sarah Ellen Rogers on her farm at Bews. Bews is a locality midway between Port Broughton and Alford on the Port Broughton – Kadina road. He was born at Dairy Flat near Yankalilla in 1874. A labourer, he was 39 years old when he enlisted on 22 December 1914.

Appointed to 4th Reinforcements 10 Battalion he embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A17 “Port Lincoln” on 1 April 1914 and was taken on strength with 10 Battalion at Gallipoli on 27 May 1915. After the evacuation from Gallipoli 10 Battalion disembarked at Alexandria. In Egypt Henry must have decided to celebrate New Years Eve outside of the camp.

Crime: at Tel-el-Kebir. Breaking camp absent 1 day 31.12.15. Award: 14 days detention Total Forfeiture: 15 days pay

On 27 March 1916 10 Battalion proceeded overseas to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. In France Edward suffered from several bouts of illness including dental, bronchitis and gastritis and spent the latter months of that year in hospital. On being discharged from hospital in November he was attached to 1st Anzac Headquarters in the field but again in February was admitted to hospital suffering from debility.

No longer fit for service Edward was evacuated to England and on 5 April embarked for Australia aboard HT “Barambah”. He was discharged medically unfit on 13 July 1917.