Harry (Jim) HOARE


HOARE, Harry

Service Number: 4493
Enlisted: 1 September 1915, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Alberton, South Australia, 20 April 1885
Home Town: Alberton, Port Adelaide, South Australia
Schooling: Alberton Public School
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Died of Wounds, Etaples, France, 7 September 1916, aged 31 years
Cemetery: Boulogne Eastern Cemetery
Tree Plaque: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Sep 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
11 Jan 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 4493, 10th Infantry Battalion, Enlistment/Embarkation WW1
11 Jan 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 4493, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Miltiades, Adelaide
7 Sep 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 4493, 50th Infantry Battalion, Pozières

Help us honour Harry Hoare's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Mrs. Mary Hoare, Kent-street, Alberton, has been notified of the death of her son, Private Harry Hoare, who died of wounds in France on September 7. He enlisted in October, 1915, and left here in February this year. He was born in Alberton, was 32 years of age, and was educated at Alberton public school. Prior to enlisting he was employed on the wharf and in the wharf sheds at Port Adelaide. Deep sympathy is felt for his aged widowed mother." - from the Adelaide Advertiser 07 Oct 1916 (nla.gov.au)


"Harry Hoare, known as "Jim" to his family, was born in Alberton, a suburb of Adelaide. His father died when he was seven, and he and his brothers and sisters were raised by his mother. Educated at Alberton Public School, Harry went on to work on the wharf and in the wharf sheds of Port Adelaide. He enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force in September 1915 at the age of 31 and was sent to Egypt with the 14th reinforcements to the 10th Battalion.

Hoare arrived in Egypt as the AIF was undergoing an extended period of training and reorganisation. As a part of this he was transferred to the 50th Battalion and sent to France to fight on the Western Front.

The 50th Battalion first saw action in the fighting around Mouquet Farm in August 1916 under some of the heaviest shell-fire of the war. In his first experience of trench warfare Hoare suffered a bout of shell shock, serious enough for him to spend a day or two in hospital. However, he soon returned to his battalion and participated in further fighting in the same area.

On 4 September the 50th Battalion returned to Albert from the front line. However, during their withdrawal, Hoare was shot in the leg. After receiving initial treatment he was sent to England, but died of his wounds before he could embark.

Harry Hoare was deeply mourned by his siblings and his aged mother, who would die two years later. He was also missed by his comrades in the 50th Battalion, one of whom inserted a memorial notice in the newspaper a year after his death. Private Davis wrote: "In loving memory of Harry - He heard his King and Country call: He gave his life, his best, his all."

His name is listed on the Roll of Honour on my right along with more than 60,000 others from the First World War. There is no photograph of Harry in the Memorial's collection to display beside the Pool of Reflection.

This is but one of the many stories of courage and sacrifice told here at the Australian War Memorial. We now remember Private Harry Hoare, and all of those Australians who have given their lives in the service of our nation..." - The Last Post Ceremony commemorating the service of (4493) Private Harry Hoare, 50th Battalion, First World War (www.awm.gov.au)