Badge Number: S4877 Mounted, Sub Branch: Wallaroo
S4877 Mounted


Service Number: 1721
Enlisted: 29 February 1916
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Redhill, South Australia, Australia, date not yet discovered
Home Town: Arthurton, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: 12 October 1957, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered, age not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Catholic Section
Memorials: Arthurton WW1 Honour Roll, Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

29 Feb 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, 1721, 50th Infantry Battalion
11 Apr 1916: Involvement Private, 1721, 50th Infantry Battalion, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '19' embarkation_place: Adelaide embarkation_ship: HMAT Aeneas embarkation_ship_number: A60 public_note: ''
11 Apr 1916: Embarked Private, 1721, 50th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Aeneas, Adelaide

Help us honour Thomas McMahon's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Thomas McMahon was the son of Thomas (deceased) and Mary McMahon who farmed near Garfield.

Thomas was born at Redhill in about 1871. A farmer, he was 34 years old when he enlisted at Kadina on 29 February 1916.

Thomas was appointed to 2nd Reinforcements 50 Battalion and embarked from Adelaide aboard HMAT A60 “Aeneas” on 11 April 1916 and disembarked at Plymouth on 16 June. He was taken on strength of 50 Battalion in France on 19 August 1916. After a bout of bronchitis had Thomas incapacitated for three months he finally rejoined the battalion on 5 January 1917. On 2 April 1917 50 Battalion launched a successful attack on German positions at Noreuil in France but in this engagement Thomas received a severe shell wound to his left shoulder. He was invalided to England and admitted to the Kitchener War Hospital. Thomas embarked from England aboard HT “City of Exeter” on 15 January 1919 and disembarked in Adelaide on 28 February. He was discharged in Adelaide on 14 April 1919.