Albert George Ferdinand NEAVE MM

Badge Number: 22430, Sub Branch: Marion

NEAVE, Albert George Ferdinand

Service Number: 131
Enlisted: 19 August 1914, Morphettville, South Australia
Last Rank: Sergeant
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Semaphore, South Australia, 6 October 1890
Home Town: Exeter, Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Railway Porter, S.A.R
Died: Somerton, South Australia, 19 August 1968, aged 77 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Morphettville, South Australia
20 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 131, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Ascanius, Adelaide
20 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 131, 10th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Albert George Ferdinand Neave's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.



Sergeant A. G. F. Neave, D Compary, Infantry, who was wounded in the Dardanelles, writes to his mother, Port road, Hindmarsh, as follows:- 

"I am well except for a punctured left leg. I am in the Victoria Hospital at Alexandria, and am being looked after all right. I could not send a cable, as I am nearly broke, and did not have enough money. All day Sunday (April 25) we had a pretty bad time. Sunday night we held our own. On Monday we had the best of the go. At times shrapnel bullets were falling like hail. The enemy are not too good with their rifles. The machine and big guns are fair. They have no time for the bayonet. If you go at them with it they empty their rifles at you, and then about turn, and go like one thing. On Sunday the enemy had great pleasure in dropping 13 stretcher-bearers, and using the bayonets on the wounded. On Monday while two stretcher-bearers were carrying a man, both fell to bullets. One Turk about 18, was caught in our trench dressed in Australian uniform, sniping officers. It is strange the number of officers and N.C.O.'s who were dropped in D Company. There were the sergeant-major, quartermaster-sergeant, five sergeants, and three corporals that I know of. Two corporals and a sergeant-major never reached the shore; the remainder had a little time in the line! I was well enjoying the time from 1.30 a.m., Sunday, until 2.30 p.m., on Monday. Then I had to keep under cover until 9 p.m., when I left the trench I started to walk without help, but had only got 50 yards, when I had to be assisted the rest of the way to the beach. That was about two miles. My leg is a bit stiff, but I can walk a little. I thought about three weeks; the doctor says a month, and then I go back. There is no need to worry about me, as we have gone through the worst. We landed against big odds. They were 10 to 1 against us. We had a big loss, but it had to be, for us to get there at all. When we landed they had everything ready for us, big guns, machine guns, rifles, explosive bullets, and dum dums. We had rifles and bayonets, and after daylight the warships. I hope when you receive this I shall be in the firing line again." - from the Adelaide Daily Herald 19 Jul 1915 (

Surviving the war, Sgt. Neave appears to have joined the S.A. Police as a Mounted Constable