John Arthur JOHNCOCK

Badge Number: S21220, Sub Branch: MITCHAM

JOHNCOCK, John Arthur

Service Number: 3599
Enlisted: 1 September 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 43rd Infantry Battalion
Born: Manoora, South Australia, 10 February 1894
Home Town: Clare, Clare and Gilbert Valleys, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: School Teacher
Died: Belair, South Australia, 7 April 1970, aged 76 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Painter Court, Wall 205, Niche E009
Memorials: Adelaide University of Adelaide WW1 Honour Roll, Clare St Barnabas Anglican Church WW1 Honour Board, Edithburgh War Memorial, Norwood Primary School Honour Board, South Australian Education Department Roll of Honour, Willowie Schools and District Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 Sep 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
11 Nov 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Sergeant, SN 3599, 43rd Infantry Battalion
17 Sep 1919: Discharged AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, 43rd Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Involvement AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 3599, 43rd Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Wounded SN 3599, 48th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour John Arthur JOHNCOCK's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

3599 Sergeant John Arthur Johncock

Charles Fuller Johncock was a teacher at Manoora for 8 years from 1893 to 1900. Charles and his wife Emily Louise (nee Bond) had a son, John Arthur, born in Manoora on 10 February 1894. After several appointments Charles was teaching at Orroroo where John was appointed a Monitor to the school. John then went on to study at the School of Arts.

At the aged of 22 John was just establishing himself as a high school teacher when he enlisted in Adelaide on 7 October 1916.  Initially he was appointed to D Company 2nd Depot Battalion and then a week later to A Company Base Infantry from which he was detached for a two week NCO school. Then followed a series of allocations which included 1 month with 19th Reinforcements 27th Battalion, two weeks with 9th Reinforcements 48th Battalion and another two weeks with 13th Reinforcements 32nd Battalion. These had been interrupted with attendance at a ten week signals course from 1 February until 15 April. On 1 May John was promoted to Corporal and was allocated to 10th Reinforcements 48th Battalion. John entrained for Sydney from where he embarked aboard HMAT A16 Port Melbourne on 16 July 1917. While at sea he took ill and was admitted to the ships hospital for six days. John disembarked in Liverpool on 16 September and marched into 12th Training Battalion at Codford. Three weeks after landing in England John had contracted the mumps and was admitted to hospital for seventeen days.

On 18 December 1917 John was sent overseas to France to reinforce 43rd Battalion. After landing in France he was attached to the Australian Infantry Base Depot at Havre before being taken on strength of 43rd Battalion on Christmas Eve. The 43rd Battalion celebrated Christmas at Erquinghem and on the following day moved into the front line at Bois Grenier. 43rd Battalion spent much of 1918 fighting in the Somme Valley. In April they helped stop the German advance at Villes-Bettoneux and in August and September helped drive the Germans back to the Hindenburg Line. At some stage John had reverted to the rank of Private but on 10 September was appointed Lance Corporal. On 1 October John was struck down with gastritis and taken by 11th Australian Field Ambulance to 12th Casualty Clearing Station where he was placed on an ambulance train and sent to 3rd Stationary Hospital where he was admitted. After a month’s convalescence John marched out to rejoin his unit which was billeted at Vergies. He rejoined his unit the day before armistice. Before leaving France John was granted leave, probably to Paris, for two weeks but a week later had shown symptoms of the measles and was admitted to 46th Stationary Hospital for 2 weeks.

John left France on 14 May 1919 and marched into camp at Sutton Venny where he was promoted to E R Sergeant for duty on HMAT A18 Wiltshire. The Wiltshire sailed from England on 4 July and the troops disembarked in Australia on 16 August. John was discharged in Adelaide on 17 September 1919.

John married Sarah Burnard Temby in 1921. He had returned to teaching and by 1923 spent time as acting headmaster of Sturt Street School followed by a number of appointments as Headmaster at Booleroo Centre, Orroroo, Brighton and Largs Bay.  He died in 1970 and is buried in Centennial Park Cemetery. Sarah died in 1975 and is also buried in Centennial Park.