Service Numbers: 1, VX171
Enlisted: 17 August 1914, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Colonel
Last Unit: 2nd/6th Infantry Battalion
Born: Scarsdale, Victoria, Australia, 1 December 1891
Home Town: Scarsdale, Golden Plains, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Traveller
Died: Caringbah, New South Wales, Australia, 3 June 1980, aged 88 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Woronora General Cemetery and Crematorium, N.S.W.
Woronora General Cemetery & Cremation: Type: Ashes Location: Wall Of Memories: AIF Panel 14-GG-0257
Show Relationships


17 Aug 1914: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia

World War 1 Service

21 Oct 1914: Involvement AIF WW1, SN 1, 3rd Infantry Brigade Headquarters
21 Oct 1914: Embarked AIF WW1, SN 1, 3rd Infantry Brigade Headquarters, HMAT Saldanha, Adelaide
1 Nov 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Captain, 60th Infantry Battalion

World War 2 Service

31 Oct 1939: Involvement AIF WW1, Colonel, SN VX171, 2nd/6th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Hugh Wrigley's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


"Hugh Wrigley (1891-1980), army officer, was born on 1 December 1891 at Scarsdale, Victoria, sixth child of John Wrigley, a mine-engine driver from England, and his Scottish-born wife Isabella, née McGeachin. Educated at state schools and privately, Hugh joined the Department of Defence, Melbourne, as a military staff clerk in May 1911.

On 17 August 1914 Wrigley enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force as a staff sergeant and was allotted to 3rd Brigade headquarters. He served at Gallipoli from April 1915 and was made temporary warrant officer in October. Commissioned on 20 February 1916 in Egypt, he was posted to the 59th Battalion. In June he was promoted lieutenant and sent to France as adjutant of the 60th Battalion. For his 'gallant leadership' at the battle of Fromelles (19 July), during an attack on enemy trenches in which he was severely wounded, he was awarded the Military Cross. He spent two months in hospital in England and was promoted captain in November. Rejoining the 60th Battalion in January 1917, he resumed duty as adjutant in May.

Wrigley transferred to the Indian Army in July and joined the 6th Rajputana Rifles as a second lieutenant. He took part in campaigns in Afghanistan (1919), Iraq (1920-21) and Waziristan (1922) as a captain before returning to Australia in 1922. In partnership with several Indian Army friends, he bought a grazing property at Balmoral, Victoria..." - READ MORE LINK (