Service Number: 407077
Enlisted: 27 May 1940
Last Rank: Flying Officer
Last Unit: No. 7 Squadron (RAAF)
Born: Yorketown, SA, 15 May 1912
Home Town: Prospect, Prospect, South Australia
Schooling: Rostrevor College
Occupation: Head Teacher Whyalla Primary School
Died: Flying Battle, Denmark, 1 July 1941, aged 29 years
Cemetery: Esbjerg (Fourfelt) Cemetery Brande, Denmark
A 14 12, Esbjerg (Fourfelt) Cemetery, Esbjerg, Jutland, Denmark
Memorials: Adelaide WW2 Wall of Remembrance, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, International Bomber Command Centre Memorial, Rostrevor College WW2 Memorial Plaques, Whyalla Kinnane-Sugg Memorial Library Plaque, Whyalla Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

27 May 1940: Involvement Royal Australian Air Force, Flying Officer, SN 407077, No. 7 Squadron (RAAF)
27 May 1940: Enlisted Adelaide
27 May 1940: Enlisted Royal Australian Air Force, Flying Officer, SN 407077
Date unknown: Involvement

Help us honour John Kinnane's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Robert Joseph John and Mary Agnes Kinnane, of Prospect, South Australia.

Parents Don't Know Fate
Of Heroic Airman
Although their son, Flying-Officer John Kinnane, 29, has been mentioned in despatches, Mr. and Mrs. R. Kinnane, of Viner street, Prospect, have no idea of his whereabouts since he was reported missing last July. They have had no official notification of his being mentioned in despatches. Flying-Officer Kinnane, who was a teacher in the Education Department, enlisted soon after the outbreak of war, and left Australia with the first batch of trainees under the Empire Air Training Scheme for Canada, where he completed his  training and obtained his commission. He was the first trainee under that scheme to captain a four engined bomber, and was believed to be the first trainee promoted to the rank  of flying officer.  After his arrival in England about Christmas 1940, he took part in many raids on, Germany. He was returning from a daylight raid over Germany on July 1, 1941,  when he wirelessed that he was circling above an R.A.F. dinghy drifting in the North Sea. He then said that he hoped to assist in the airman's rescue. His next message stated that  two flights of Messerschmitts were attacking him, and after that there was silence. A few days later his parents were advised that he had been reported missing since that  date.Five weeks later, Mr. and Mrs. Kinnane were notified by the Air Board that their son was a prisoner-of-war in Germany, but shortly after that they were told that this  information could not be confirmed following further investigations.  The position has not altered since, and the parents are still in the dark as to his fate.