Douglas ROGERS


ROGERS, Douglas

Service Numbers: S14709, 416722
Enlisted: 16 August 1941, Adelaide
Last Rank: Warrant Officer
Last Unit: No. 180 Squadron (RAF)
Born: Edmonton, England, 11 November 1919
Home Town: Wayville, Unley, South Australia
Schooling: Goodwood Public School South Australia (1931-33)
Occupation: Settlement Clerk
Died: Flying Battle, near Hawkinge Kent United Kingdom, 25 January 1944, aged 24 years
Cemetery: Brookwood Military Cemetery, Pirbright, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Plot 4. Row M. Grave 17. Local Roll of Honour- Adelaide South Australia
Memorials: Adelaide WW2 Wall of Remembrance, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

3 Sep 1939: Involvement SN S14709
16 Aug 1941: Enlisted Adelaide
16 Aug 1941: Involvement Warrant Officer, SN 416722
24 Aug 1942: Embarked Royal Australian Air Force, Sergeant, SN 416722, Embarked Sydney for U.K.
28 Nov 1943: Promoted Royal Australian Air Force, Warrant Officer
15 Dec 1943: Involvement Royal Australian Air Force, Warrant Officer, SN 416722, No. 180 Squadron (RAF), Air War NW Europe 1939-45
Date unknown: Involvement

Help us honour Douglas Rogers's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Graham Padget

Douglas Rogers born in Edmonton England was the son of Edward Joseph and Josephine Ellen Howard Rogers, of Plympton, South Australia

Warrant Officer Douglas Rogers B-25 Mitchell aircraft FL218 took off from RAF Dunsfold on January 1944, detailed to take part in an attack on Zudausques. Heavy anti-aircraft fire was encountered over the target area and FL 218 was hit. The aircraft was seen with the starboard engine smoking badly near North Foreland at about 8,000 feet at approximately 1010 hours, but the pilot was able to get the aircraft back to within one mile of Hawkinge and then found he was unable to make a safe landing, so he ordered his crew to abandon the aircraft. It appears that he was preparing to abandon the aircraft, but it went out of control before he could bale out. It crashed about 2 kms north north west of Hawkinge about 1015 hours.