John Thomas MARSHALL

Badge Number: S8836, Sub Branch: Bridgewater

MARSHALL, John Thomas

Service Number: 1470
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Corporal
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Naracoorte, South Australia, 1887
Home Town: Port Broughton, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Mt. Barker, South Australia, 13 May 1969, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Stirling District Cemetery, S.A.
Memorials: Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Feb 1915: Involvement Private, SN 1470, 10th Infantry Battalion
19 Feb 1915: Embarked Private, SN 1470, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Runic, Melbourne
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Corporal, SN 1470, 10th Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Wounded SN 1470, 10th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour John Thomas Marshall's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

John Marshall was the son of Robert and Kate (nee Harris) Marshall and the adopted son of Mrs. W. Webb of Balaklava. At the outbreak of the war it was possible that he was working as a labourer at Wards Hill where he was a close friend of C. S. Daniel. After the war John returned to Wards Hill with his English war bride.

John was born in Naracoorte in 1887. He was 27 years old when he enlisted at Oaklands on 18 December 1914.

John was appointed to 3rd Reinforcements 10 Battalion and embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT A54 “Runic” on 24 February 1915. He landed at Gallipoli where he was taken on strength of 10 Battalion on 7 May. After the evacuation from Gallipoli 10 Battalion embarked from Alexandria on 27 March 1916 and landed at Marseilles on 3 April to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. In May John was transferred to 3rd Division’s 1 Trench Mortar Battery but within a month reported sick with a poisoned thumb. His hand turned septic and John was invalided to England for treatment. It was not until 27 May 1917 that John returned to France and rejoined 10 Battalion. Within 2 months he was again admitted to hospital, this time suffering from PUO. He was again evacuated to England before returning to France on 9 December. On 29 June 1918 John was reported missing.

Both in XII Pltn. C. Coy. Single men. Lieut. Lightbody saw them taken P/W unwounded in front of Merricourt. We retired during the daytime and they got left behind while digging in.  Pte. A. L. Whittle No. 1440 10. C. XII

On the morning of June 29th the Company advanced to take some posts in front of Merris when 12 Platoon (Marshall’s Platoon) was surrounded & had to retire; Marshall not coming back with them. Later in the afternoon the Platoon again advanced along the same Country; they never came across a sign of Marshall or the other men who were missing with him. They came across the body of their Platoon Officer, Lieut. McInerney. I was on the right of them & saw the Platoon surrounded by the enemy but that is all.  L/Corporal A. H. Wallace 1478 C. Coy. 10 Bn.

…about noon I was on observation and when we were advancing our posts I was some 300 yards away and saw him with a party which were being outflanked – this party had to fight their way out and some got back but I particularly noticed that Marshall was taken prisoner. I knew him so well and could clearly see him taken. He carried no arms as when outflanked the party had been digging in.  Pte. H. J. McKenzie  2742b

John had been taken prisoner and with the war ended was repatriated to England on 17 December 1918. Two weeks later, on 1 January 1919, John married Hilda Rebecca Miles in a wedding ceremony in London. John and Hilda embarked from England aboard the family ship “Themistocles” on 22 December and disembarked at Outer Harbour on 3 February 1920. John was discharged on 3 April 1920.