Stanley Hubert QUICKE MM

Badge Number: 74966

QUICKE, Stanley Hubert

Service Number: 6574
Enlisted: 14 August 1916, Adelaide, South Australia
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: 10th Infantry Battalion
Born: Hamilton, South Australia, 21 September 1893
Home Town: Magill, Campbelltown, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Labourer
Died: Broken Hill, NSW, 29 March 1923, aged 29 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Broken Hill Cemetery, New South Wales
METH M4 Row W2 Grave/Niche Number 4
Memorials: Magill Honour Board, Magill War Memorial, Morphett Vale Old Reynella School Roll of Honor
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

14 Aug 1916: Enlisted AIF WW1, Adelaide, South Australia
21 Oct 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, HMAT A16 Port Melbourne
23 Oct 1916: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, SN 6574, 10th Infantry Battalion
23 Oct 1916: Embarked AIF WW1, Private, SN 6574, 10th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Port Melbourne, Adelaide
10 Aug 1918: Wounded "The Last Hundred Days", During the Hundred Day Offensive, Stanley was injured near Lihons in the left hand and left leg.
11 Nov 1918: Involvement AIF WW1, Lance Corporal, SN 6574, 10th Infantry Battalion
Date unknown: Involvement 10th Infantry Battalion, Battle for Pozières

Military Medal Citation

Awarded Military Medal 26 October 1918
'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on the 11th August 1918 near Libous. Although slightly wounded in the hand and leg, Lance Corporal Quicke continued firing his Lewis Gun From his hip and he advanced and entirely wiped out an enemy machine gun crew who were causing casualties in our ranks. Shortly after this he was again wounded but even then did not leave the field until ordered to do so. During the whole of the engagement he set a fine example to his section.'

Showing 1 of 1 story


Son of William James QUICKE and Charlotte Edith nee TURNER

Whilst in the service of the 10th Battalion L/Cpl Quickie was awarded the Military Medal for remaining at his Lewis gun during an operation. He was wounded multiple times yet managed to capture a German machine gun position and only left the field once ordered to do so by an officer.

Toward the end of his war he contracted an infection and found himself hospitalised for a total of 69 days.

He died young at 29 on March 29th 1923 and is buried at Broken Hill Cemetery. His brief death notice can found in the resource links on this page.


Stanley Hubert Quicke was born on the 2nd of September 1893 by William James and Charlotte Quicke who where his loving mother and father, they grew up in Hamilton, South Australia before Stanley went to war. His occupation before the war was a laborer. He remained single for the entirety of his life and did not have a wife or children.       

His establishment was on the 14th of August 1916 where he was assigned to the 10th Battalion who fought in France. He left home on the 21/10/16 on the HMAT Ascanius to train to be a soldier in Devonport, Tasmania. He signed without family or friends which means he most likely went to war alone.

He commenced training at Devonport from the 29/12/16 until 5/4/17. Training with his fellow solders where he started and finished his training. He trained there for approximately five months. He was taught how to dig trenches, handle firearms and boost his self confidence for the horror that he was about to face at war. After this, he was deployed to France and the Western Front along with the 10th Battalion.

His battalion had previously been fighting at Gallipoli but was now placed in Flanders. They fought there from mid-1917 until August 1918. Stanley was involved in this fight during the last few months. After a few major German attacks, the allies launched a counter- offensive dubbed The Battle of Amiens which German General Erich Ludendorff described as "the black day of the German Army in this war". This battle started the Hundred Day Offensive which ultimately ended the war.

During this offensive, Stanley was fighting on the battlefield near Lihons on 10/8/18 (two days after the battle started) when he showed great bravery. Although getting wounded in his left hand and leg, he continued firing his Lowis gun from his hip and managed to entirely wipe out an enemy machine gun crew. He also did not leave the field until ordered to do so. The battle ended as a success and this offensive on a whole was also a winning manoeuvre.

After this injury, Stanley was admitted to Kitchener Hospital, Brighton. He was then transferred to the 1st A.D.H (Australian Dermatological Hospital) in Bulford, England. He was there for 32 days. He then went to Weymouth to convalesce. This was for 15 days. Sadly, he was once again admitted to the A.D.H but this time it was from contracting an illness. This was for 32 days. He also went to Parkhouse C.T.D (Convalescent Training Depot) and got sick again. He was sent back to the A.D.H for the same illness and was there for 69 days. When he was sent back to Australia he was enlisted in the R.B.A.A (Reserved Brigade Australian Artillery) a place for returned soldiers. He died in Broken Hill on 29 March 1923 and is buried at the Broken Hill Cemetery. He was 29 years old.

Stanley was given the Military Medal for the above mentioned bravery he showed at Lihons.