Paul Harold DENEHEY


DENEHEY, Paul Harold

Service Number: 37562
Enlisted: 22 February 1962
Last Rank: Lance Corporal
Last Unit: Special Air Service Regiment (SAS)
Born: Melbourne, Victoria, 21 January 1944
Home Town: Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria
Schooling: Bentleigh High School
Occupation: Soldier
Died: Accidental (gored by elephant), Sabah, Malaysia, 6 June 1965, aged 21 years
Cemetery: Kranji War Cemetery
Plot: 11. C. 15
Memorials: Australian War Memorial, Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

Non Warlike Service

22 Feb 1962: Enlisted Australian Army, Private, SN 37562

Malaysia / Indonesia Confrontation Service

1 Jan 1963: Involvement Lance Corporal, SN 37562
6 Jun 1965: Involvement Australian Army, Lance Corporal, SN 37562, Special Air Service Regiment (SAS)

Help us honour Paul Harold Denehey's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Lance Corporal Paul Harold Denehey, No. 1 Squadron Special Air Service (SAS), who was killed by a wild elephant while on patrol along the Sabah border in Borneo on 06 Jun 1965

"Soldier buried 

SINGAPORE, Friday (AAP-Reuter).- An Australian soldier who was killed by a wild elephant in Borneo earlier this week was buried here today at the Ulu Pandan Military Cemetery. He was Lance-Corporal Paul Harold Denehey, of the First Special Air Service Squadron, from Melbourne, Victoria. Corporal Denehey was one of a four-man patrol moving near the Sabah Indonesian border when the wild elephant attacked and gored him. He died before help could reach him in the mountainous, jungle-clad inland regions of Sabah." - from the Canberra Times 12 Jun 1965 (


Biography contributed by Deane Pye

Paul Denehey was born in Victoria on 21 January 1944. He enlisted in the Army on 22 February 1962 and was allotted to the Royal Australian Signals. He was posted to 1 SAS Company Royal Australian Regiment on 13 August 1963 and underwent Recondo training in 1964. Paul came from the School of Signals with the rank of Signaller. A rogue elephant gored Paul on 2 June 1965 during a four-man reconnaissance patrol in Borneo. He died of his injuries in the field at some time between 5 and 7 June. Paul’s next-of-kin at the time of his death was his father.