Charles Hercules GREEN DSO

GREEN, Charles Hercules

Service Numbers: 237504 (NX121), 237504, 2/37504
Enlisted: 25 October 1939
Last Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
Last Unit: 3rd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR)
Born: South Grafton, New South Wales, Australia , 26 December 1919
Home Town: Grafton, Clarence Valley, New South Wales
Schooling: Swan Creek Public and Grafton High schools, New South Wales, Australia
Occupation: Army Officer
Died: Died of wounds, Korea, 1 November 1950, aged 30 years
Cemetery: United Nations Memorial Cemetery, Busan, Korea
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Grafton Lieutenant Colonel Charles Green Memorial Plaque, Korea United Nations Memorial Cemetery Wall of Remembrance, Swan Creek Memorial Gates
Show Relationships

World War 2 Service

25 Oct 1939: Enlisted Australian Army (Post WW2), Lieutenant Colonel, 237504 (NX121), 2nd/11th Infantry Battalion
25 Oct 1939: Enlisted Australian Military Forces (Army WW2), Lieutenant Colonel, 237504, 2nd/11th Infantry Battalion

Korean War Service

24 Sep 1950: Involvement Lieutenant Colonel, 2/37504, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR)
24 Sep 1950: Involvement Australian Army (Post WW2), Lieutenant Colonel, 237504


The details provided are taken from the book "The Last Call of the Bugle - the long road to Kapyong" written by Jack Gallaway, published in 1994. Charles Green served in the Militia prior to the war, starting as a private soldier. He enlisted in the AIF in 1939 with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant and soon promoted to Lieutenant, to Captain by 1941 and also promoted Major. Charles was promoted Lieutenant Colonel Jan 1945 and transferred as Commanding Officer of the 2nd/11th Infantry Battalion. During WW2 he was awarded the DSO. Discharged from the AIF soon after the completion of the war, but re-enlisted into the Army by the end of 1949 and served in the School of Tactics & Admin before being transferred to the command of the 3rd Battaion RAR to serve as the CO for service in Korea. Unfortunately, he was killed by the explosion of an enemy artillery, shrapnel from an air burst 30th Oct 1950. Rest In Peace. Lest We Forget.

Showing 1 of 1 story