Harry Morgan MATHIAS

Badge Number: 32780, Sub Branch: Clarence Park

MATHIAS, Harry Morgan

Service Number: 2229
Enlisted: 8 September 1914
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 3rd Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Edwardstown, South Australia, 9 June 1892
Home Town: Edwardstown, Marion, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Cabinetmaker
Died: 6 April 1939, aged 46 years, cause of death not yet discovered, place of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: AIF Cemetery, West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide
Section: LO, Road: 1AS, Site No: 19
Memorials: Adelaide South Park Bowling Club WW1 Memorial, Edwardstown District WW1 Roll of Honor, Marion District Roll of Honour WW1
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 Sep 1914: Enlisted
17 Sep 1914: Involvement Driver, SN 2229, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade
17 Sep 1914: Embarked Driver, SN 2229, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade , HMAT Geelong, Melbourne
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Driver, SN 2229

Help us honour Harry Morgan Mathias's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From How We Served

2229 Driver Harry Morgan Mathias of Edwardstown, South Australia had been employed as a cabinetmaker when he enlisted for War Service on the 31st of August 1914 and was allocated to the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade Ammunition Column 1st AIF.

Harry departed for Egypt and further training with his Unit and was amongst the 1st Australian Contingent, to leave Australia. At the start of April 1915 Harry was present for the commencement of the operations against the Turkish forces on Gallipoli and remained on the Peninsular until he was evacuated to hospital in Egypt for sickness on the 28th of August. Harry was then shipped to England from Egypt for further medical treatment and remained in England for convalescence and was retained to assist in the training camps until he was sent to France on the 3rd of November 1917.

Following his arrival Harry was transferred over to the 1st Divisional Ammunition Column. Joining his new Unit in the field on the 8th of November 1917, Harry’s service in Northern France would be continuous until he was granted ‘Special Leave’ to return to Australia along with those other original 1914 personnel who were still on ‘active service ‘as of October 1918.

Harry was embarked for his ‘ANZAC Furlough’ and arrived back in Australia on the 2nd of December 1918 and received his official discharge from the 1st AIF on the 31st of January 1919 and was re-entered into civilian life. Whilst Harry had been in in England before being embarked for France during 1917 Harry had married on the 20th of June 1917, and he had brought his War bride, Elsie, back to Australia.

Harry’s untimely death at the age of 46 occurred on the 6th of April 1939, following which he was formally laid to rest within West Terrace Cemetery, South Australia.