Edgar Morton POSTLE


POSTLE, Edgar Morton

Service Number: 3219
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 49th Infantry Battalion
Born: Not yet discovered
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Not yet discovered
Died: Killed in action, France, 11 June 1918, age not yet discovered
Cemetery: Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Kingaroy RSL Roll of Honour, Kingaroy Stone of Remembrance
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

23 Dec 1916: Involvement Private, SN 3219, 52nd Infantry Battalion
23 Dec 1916: Embarked Private, SN 3219, 52nd Infantry Battalion, HMAT Demosthenes, Sydney
11 Jun 1918: Involvement Private, SN 3219, 49th Infantry Battalion


Edgar Morton Postle was the youngest son to Arthur and Frances Postle. Edgar was also the brother of world champion sprinter Arthur "The Crimson Flash" Postle. He spent his early childhood on a farm near Pittsworth but the family then relocated to Memerambi where his father become a pioneer peanut farmer and was the biggest grower of peanuts in the Kingaroy region. Like all of his brothers, Edgar was an exceptional athlete. There was one stage when their father set a world wide challenge that if any other five brothers could beat the five Postle boys, they would be rewarded with a large purse. However, due to the well known class of athletes that the Postles were, no one ever excepted the challenge. Edgar was the Army high jump champion during his time in the army and was well known by the troops. He was wounded twice and sent back to England to recover. He was told that he could be discharged, however, he told them that he wanted to keep fighting for King and Country. During the last year of the war, Edgar's trench had become isolated and was desperately short of water. The message went out for a volunteer to run for water. Edgar being a great athlete volunteered. He had to complete three trips. These trips meant that he would have to get out of the trench and become exposed to enemy gunfire. He had completed two out of the three trips and was almost back in the trench when he was struck by a grenade and was killed instantly. Unfortunately none of his personal effects were ever returned to the family, it was presumed that they were stolen. However, a letter from his sister that was in his breast pocket was returned to the family by another Memerambi boy who had grown up and fought alongside Edgar.

Showing 1 of 1 story