Frank Arnold MANDERS


MANDERS, Frank Arnold

Service Number: 856
Enlisted: 24 December 1915
Last Rank: Second Lieutenant
Last Unit: 3rd Pioneer Battalion
Born: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 15 June 1893
Home Town: Brisbane, Brisbane, Queensland
Schooling: University of Queensland, Australia
Occupation: School Teacher
Died: Killed in Action, France, 4 March 1917, aged 23 years
Cemetery: Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery, Armentieres
IV F 1
Memorials: East Brisbane War Memorial, Maryborough Albert State School War Memorial, University of Queensland WW1 Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

24 Dec 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, SN 856, 3rd Pioneer Battalion
6 Jun 1916: Involvement Sergeant, SN 856, 3rd Pioneer Battalion
6 Jun 1916: Embarked Sergeant, SN 856, 3rd Pioneer Battalion, HMAT Wandilla, Melbourne
4 Mar 1917: Involvement Second Lieutenant, 3rd Pioneer Battalion

Help us honour Frank Arnold Manders's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of William Thomas and Alice Elizabeth Manders, of Jones St., Auchenflower, Brisbane, Queensland.

Mr and Mrs W T Manders, of Auchen flower, formerly residents, in Kangaroo Point, have received news of the death of then son, Frank Arnold Manden who was killed In action on the Western front on the 4th instant. Before  enlisting Frank was an nsblstant teacher in the Kangaroo oint School, with which he had been associated as pupil pupil teacher, and classified teacher After securing classification, he continued his studies, and in 1915 passed the matriculation examination of the Queensland University. It then became his ambition to cater the ministry of the Church of England, but, setting aside a vocation for which his character, abilities, and devotion undoubtedly utted him, he obeyed the Umpire's call, and enrolled himself for foreign service. He was finally attached to the 3rd Battalion (Pioneers), and before leaving Australia in June of last year hdd been advanced to the rank of sergeant. Upon arrival in England he underwent a further course of training in the military camp at Salisbury Plain. About the beginning of December last he was transferred to the lighting line, having then secured promotion to the rank of second lieutenant. A promising career has evidently been cut short in the forward movement now being vigorously pursued by the British forces. The  pupils and teachers connected with the Kangaroo Point School marked their ap preciation of his personalityand service by a suitable presentation. For a number of years he was an earnest adherent of St Mary 's Church and when his parents removed to Auchenflower he transferred his religious interests to the Toowong parish and assisted in founding a Sunday school at Auchenflower, of which school he was appointed superintendent. In sport he was successively associated with the Wesley Tennis Club  Kangaroo Point) and the St Thomas's Club (Toowong) As recently as Thursday last Mr Hurworth, late head teacher of the Kangaroo Point School, received a short communication from Frank, in which he wrote "A word of greeting from a land of mud, mobile iron foundries, and excitement! Have been in France for two months most of the time having been spent between hospital and rest camp. Am hoping to proceed 'up the line' very shortly. Life in France is solid after our training experiences in England, where there was so much to interest and to enjoy. I hope you have received the books which I had the occasional opportunity of forwarding from London. If I get back there, I hope to make up an interesting parcel for the old school. It is very cold here , all are well clothed and well protected but the cold manages to creep in. Have not had any news regarding Mr Walker, Mr. Shield or Mr Harris (other members of the staff on service). Best wishes for the school and staff "

Modest, earnest devoted courteous, a good son and faithful servant he has found an honoured grave not far away from where lies his comrade teacher Sergeant G T Phipps, who fell on the 20th April, 1916.