Stephen Robert STRINGER

Badge Number: 79690, Sub Branch: Port Broughton

STRINGER, Stephen Robert

Service Number: 51850
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 50th Infantry Battalion
Born: Mundoora, South Australia, Australia, 10 February 1894
Home Town: Mundoora, Barunga West, South Australia
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Farmer
Died: Gawler, South Australia, Australia, 14 August 1962, aged 68 years, cause of death not yet discovered
Cemetery: Centennial Park Cemetery, South Australia
Memorials: Mundoora War Memorial, Port Broughton War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

1 May 1918: Involvement Private, 51850, 1st to 6th (SA) Reinforcements, --- :embarkation_roll: roll_number: '20' embarkation_place: Sydney embarkation_ship: HMAT Euripides embarkation_ship_number: A14 public_note: ''
1 May 1918: Embarked Private, 51850, 1st to 6th (SA) Reinforcements, HMAT Euripides, Sydney
11 Nov 1918: Involvement Private, 51850, 50th Infantry Battalion

Help us honour Stephen Robert Stringer's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by tony griffin

Stephen Robert Stringer was the son of Robert Arthur and Margaret Stringer (nee Bolmeyer).

Stephen Robert Stringer was born at Mundoora on 10th February 1897. A farmer at Mundoora, Stephen was 21 years old when he enlisted in Adelaide on the 1 March, 1918. He was initially attached to B Coy 1st General Reinforcements at Mitcham and undertook 2 months basic training before embarking from Sydney aboard HMAT A14 “Euripides” on the 1st May, 1918. After 1½  months at sea Stephen transhipped at New York on the 14th June, 1918. He completed the last two weeks of the voyage to England aboard HM Teutonic before disembarking at Liverpool on the 2nd July, 1918. On the 4th July, 1918 Stephen was attached to the 9th Training Battalion but according to his records was sent to the Brigade Clearing Hospital suffering from influenza. Only four days later on the 9th July, 1918 he was admitted to the Military Hospital at Sutton Veny with tonsillitis. Discharged from hospital on the 27th July, 1918 he continued training until eventually allotted to 50th battalion and marched out to the 12th Training Battalion at Codford where he was promoted to acting Lance Corporal on the 12th August, 1918. On the 16th October Stephen suffered another bout of influenza and was again admitted to the military hospital at Sutton Veny. Unfortunately for Stephen, on admission to hospital he reverted back to his rank of Private. After 9 days in hospital he was discharged on the 25th October 1918 and returned to 12 Training Depot. Stephen embarked from Southhampton in England on the 6th November 1918 and landed in France on the 7th November, 1918. This was only four days before the armistice was signed on 11th November, 1918. Stephen was taken on strength in the field with 50th Battalion on the 15th November until the 26th February 1919 when he was attached to 4th Division Headquarters. Two months later, on the 25th April 1919 he returned to his unit as they prepared to move out from France for return to Australia. Stephen and the 50th Battalion disembarked at Southhampton on the 21st  May 1919 and marched into Hurdcott Camp near Fovant in England. Private Stephen Stringer embarked from England aboard the “City of Exeter” on the 12th July 1919 and disembarked in Adelaide on the 22nd August 1919.