COLLIN, Arthur

Service Number: 6652
Enlisted: 8 March 1915, Port Augusta
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 4th Light Horse Brigade Train
Born: Georgetown, South Australia, 10 March 1884
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Miner/Labourer
Died: broncho pneumonia, Gawler, South Australia, 21 October 1957, aged 73 years
Cemetery: Not yet discovered
Memorials: Prospect St Cuthbert's Church Honour Board
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

8 Mar 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Port Augusta
23 Jun 1915: Involvement AIF WW1, Driver, SN 6652, 4th Light Horse Brigade Train
23 Jun 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, Driver, SN 6652, 4th Light Horse Brigade Train, HMAT Borda, Adelaide
15 Nov 1915: Embarked AIF WW1, HMAT Termistocles
Date unknown: Wounded SN 6652, 2nd Field Ambulance
Date unknown: Involvement AIF WW1, Private, 14th Army Service Corps

Help us honour Arthur Collin's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.


Arthur enlisted 8 May 1915 at Port Augusta where he was working on a boring plant  for the East West Railway. He was aged 31 years. 2nd Field Ambulance , Rank--Driver, Service # 6652.  He sailed on " Thermistocles" and Ansonia. to Alexandria & thence to Marseilles. 1916 and it became apparent that he was not injured but partially buried twice. He was listed as missing in 1918 after being sent to England wirh "delusional insanity".  Despite letters sent to all War Officer & Red Cross it was discovered that he had been incorrectly named as Collins ( with an  ' s ') and given a new  Service # 8842.

 Added Information
Frederick Arthur Collin (known as Art) enlisted 8 May 1915 at Port Augusta, South Australia.  His hometown was Gawler, S.A. He was in 2nd Field Ambulance Rank of Driver , Service Number 6652.

He went from Australia on 15/11/1915 on "Thermistocles" to Alexandria & then 5/4/1916 to Marseilles on "Ansonia".Records show he was not wounded but partially buried twice. He was listed as missing and in January 1918 was hospititalised for  confusional insanity.  Somewhere in this time, his name was changed to Collins--an 's' was added probably as a result of a clerical error and he was given a new number. Service Number 8842. After letters were sent by his mother to War Offices around Australia, enquiries by the Red Cross which all replied ' No record found' a letter was received from the War Office explaining that A Collin #6652 and A Collins #8842 were indeed the same person. Art was discharged 14/10/1918 with a medical discharge, not due to misconduct.

Oral Family history says that he returned to Australia about July 1918 and wrote to the family saying he was safe and on his way home.  He arrived home before his letter--all were surprised, having believed him to have been a casualty of war but rejoicing for his safe return.