Edward William Beverley (Ted) MARLAY

MARLAY, Edward William Beverley

Service Number: 14725
Enlisted: 30 November 1915, Toowoomba, Qld.
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 1st Field Ambulance
Born: Toowoomba, Qld., 30 January 1897
Home Town: Chinchilla, Western Downs, Queensland
Schooling: Ipswich Central State School, Toowoomba Grammar School
Occupation: Bank Clerk
Died: Illness (Appendicitis), Sierra Leone, Sierra Leone, West Africa, 20 September 1917, aged 20 years
Cemetery: Freetown (King Tom) Cemetery, Sierra Leone
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Bank of New South Wales Roll of Honour Book, Chinchilla War Memorial, Toowoomba Gordon Gymnastic & Athletics Club Honour Board, Toowoomba Grammar School WW1 Honour Board, Toowoomba Grammar School WW1 In Memoriam Honour Board, Toowoomba Roll of Honour WW1, Toowoomba St Luke's Church WW1 Honour Roll, Toowoomba St. Luke's Church 'Marlay' Memorial Plaque, Toowoomba War Memorial (Mothers' Memorial)
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

30 Nov 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Private, Army Medical Corps (AIF), Toowoomba, Qld.
19 Sep 1916: Involvement Private, 14725, Army Medical Corps (AIF), Third Ypres
19 Sep 1916: Embarked Private, 14725, Army Medical Corps (AIF), HMAT Seang Choon, Brisbane
20 Sep 1917: Involvement Private, 14725, 1st Field Ambulance, Third Ypres

Help us honour Edward William Beverley Marlay's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Faithe Jones

Son of Arthur and Nellie MARLAY

Joined the Bank of New South Wales, Toowoomba branch, 26 August 1913. Transferred to Chinchilla branch, January 1915.

The sad information was conveyed to Mrs. A.B. Marlay yesteray by the Mayour and Canon Oakeley of the death of her eldest sone, Private E (Ted) Marlay.  The information was vague as to where his death occured but it is surmised that he must have died at sea in the light of the information which had previously reached his parents. Mrs. W H. Groom, grandmother of the deceased solider, accompanied Cannon Oakeley and the Mayor (Alderman Mayes) on their sad mission.  It will be remembered that some time ago it was reported that Private Marlay had been wounded in the arm and lung, and was then in hospital in England.  At the time it was ascertained that his injuries were severe and it was thought that he would be unfit for further service.  This view proved correct for it was subsequently learnt that Private Marlay would be returned to Australia and quite naturally his parents were looking forward to his spending Christmas at home with them.  Nothing further was heard, and it was assumed that he had set sail from England for home. The unexpected news of his having passed away came therefore as a great shock to his parents.  "Ted" was a popular lad in Toowoomba especially in banking circles.  He had been on active service for some time and had seen some heavy fighting.  A younger brother, Private Ken, is at present in France.  The late soldier was a cousin of the late Privates Lit and Colin Groom.  The father of the deceased solider, Mr. A.B. Marlay is a well-knoen resident of Toowoomba, being manager of the Australian Bank of Commerce, but at the present time he is relieving at Miles.  Much sympathy will be extended to the parents in their irreparable loss.

EDWARD WILLIAM BEVERLEY MARLAY, son of Mr. Arthur Beverley Marlay and Mrs. Nellie Maud Marlay, was born at Toowoomba, Queensland, on 30th January, 1897. He was educated at Ipswich Central State School, The Normal School, Brisbane, and the Toowoomba Boys’ Grammar School.

He joined the service of the Bank at Toowoomba on 26th August, 1913, being transferred in January, 1915, to Chinchilla.

He enlisted on 30th November, 1915, and proceeded to France. Having been wounded at the Battle of Bullecourt in May, 1917, he was re-embarked for Australia as a convalescent and left Plymouth by the transport “Benalla” on 28th August, 1917. Taking ill on the homeward voyage he was taken ashore a t Sierra Leone, West Africa, and operated upon for acute appendicitis and peritonitis. He did not, however, recover from the shock of the operation, and died on 20th September, 1917. He was buried at the Kissi Cemetery with military honours.

Source - Bank of NSW Roll of Honour