WICKER, Arthur

Service Number: 1391
Enlisted: Not yet discovered
Last Rank: Private
Last Unit: 48th Infantry Battalion
Born: Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, April 1885
Home Town: Not yet discovered
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Miner
Died: Killed in Service, Belgium, 12 October 1917
Cemetery: No known grave - "Known Unto God"
His place of burial unknown. His name is in the Ypres Memorial (panel 7- 17- 23- 25- 27- 29- 31) in Belgium. This monument was built in the place where thousands of allies passed on their way to fight the Ypres salient.
Memorials: Adelaide National War Memorial, Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Kangaroo Flat Soldiers Memorial, Menin Gate Memorial (Commonwealth Memorial to the Missing of the Ypres Salient), Newbridge War Memorial
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

19 Feb 1915: Involvement Private, SN 1391, 16th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres
19 Feb 1915: Embarked Private, SN 1391, 16th Infantry Battalion, HMAT Runic, Melbourne
12 Oct 1917: Involvement Private, SN 1391, 48th Infantry Battalion, Third Ypres

Help us honour Arthur Wicker's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Westminster School

Arthur Wicker was born in April 1885, in Bendigo, Victoria. Arthur was raised in a Protestant Church and later joined the mining industry. On the 28th of November, 1914 Arthur enlisted to join the military, aged 29 and 7 months. Arthur was attached to the 16th Battalion, they departed from Melbourne and headed off to Egypt for training before arriving on the front lines of Gallipoli.

Throughout his participation with the military during World War One Arthur was hospitalised on multiple occasions due to illnesses including varicose veins, venereal disease and gonorrhoea. When he wasn’t hospitalised he was AWOL (absent without leave) for extended periods. He was court martialled on several occasions and found guilty of absconding from his duty.

After the soldiers were evacuated from Gallipoli, Arthur was sent back to Egypt and transferred to the 48th Battalion where he retrained with these soldiers before being sent to the front lines of the Western front.

On the 12th of October Arthur was tragically killed in battle.

Following the war, investigations about the allocation of his medals discovered that Arthur was in fact married and had two children, to which his mother did not know. Arthurs’ enlistment papers made no mention of this and his mother was listed as his next of kin. Consequently, his wife was not aware of his enlistment and she remarried.