Leslie Max ALLEN


ALLEN, Leslie Max

Service Number: 7933
Enlisted: 31 July 1915
Last Rank: Driver
Last Unit: 6th Field Artillery Brigade
Born: Yarrafield, Victoria, Australia, April 1891
Home Town: Collingwood, Yarra, Victoria
Schooling: Not yet discovered
Occupation: Bootmaker
Died: Accidental, Wandin, Victoria, Australia, 10 August 2019
Cemetery: Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton
Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Memorials: Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour
Show Relationships

World War 1 Service

31 Jul 1915: Enlisted AIF WW1, Driver, SN 7933, 6th Field Artillery Brigade
22 Nov 1915: Involvement Driver, SN 7933, 6th Field Artillery Brigade
22 Nov 1915: Embarked Driver, SN 7933, 6th Field Artillery Brigade , HMAT Persic, Melbourne
4 Sep 1916: Transferred AIF WW1, Driver, 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column
23 Feb 1917: Transferred AIF WW1, Driver, 6th Field Artillery Brigade

Help us honour Leslie Max Allen's service by contributing information, stories, and images so that they can be preserved for future generations.

Biography contributed by Evan Evans

From How We Served

The final resting place for 7933 Driver Leslie Max Allen of Collingwood, Victoria who prior to his enlistment for War Service of the 31st of July 1915 had been employed as a bootmaker. Leslie was allocated to the 6th Field Artillery Brigade 1st AIF and was embarked for Egypt and further training on the 22nd of November.

Having arrived in Egypt Leslie was taken on strength with his Unit and was shipped over to France where he arrived on the 23rd of March 1916. Leslie was evacuated to hospital due to influenza on the 17th of May and was returned to the 2nd Australian Division Base Depot at Etaples on the 13th of July, from where he was taken on strength with the 2nd Division Ammunition Column on the 4th of September.

Leslie was transferred back to the 6th Field Artillery Brigade on the 17th of February 1917, and his service in the field would be continuous until he was evacuated due to an accidental contusion to the scalp on the 25th of September. Driver Allen was sent onto England for hospitalization on the 1st of October, and would be retained in England following his recovery, spending time undergoing convalescence before serving with Training Depots, and would not be returned to France until the 8th of October 1918.

Re-joining his Unit on the 13th of October, Leslie would remain in France until the end of hostilities and commenced his repatriation for Australia on the 17th of February 1919. Returning to Australia on the 27th of April, Leslie was on leave and had yet to be discharged from the 1st AIF when he received accidental injuries whilst going shooting at Wandin, Victoria.

Leslie died of the wounds he had sustained on the 10th of August, and following his death he was formally interred within Melbourne General Cemetery, Victoria.