About This Unit
The No. 37 Squadron was established at RAAF Base Laverton in July 1943 with a fleet of Lockheed C-60A Lodestars to transport miltary personnel around Australian bases. In 1945, the squadron aquired the Douglas C-47 Dakota, which had greater carrying capacity. After the war, No. 37 Squadron moved to RAAF Station Schofields and provided support to the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan.
The squadron was disbanded in 1948, with courier work being taken over by Qantas, and Nos. 36 and 38 Squadrons providing the airlift support in the Malayan Emergency and Korean War. However, in 1966, No. 37 Squadron was re-established at Richmond as part of No. 84 Wing, with the C130E Hercules. The squadron provided airlift support during the first Gulf War, Operation Solace in Somalia in 1993 and in the 2003 incursion into Iraq.
Today, No. 37 Squadron's role primarily involves medium tactical airlift with the C-130J. The squadron has played an integral role in domestic and international humanitarian operations, including providing airlift support in the case of natural disasters. In 2013, at the time of its anniversary, the squadron was involved for the eleventh consecutive year in the Middle East Area of Operations.
For more information see the the No. 37 Squadron 70th Anniversary Media Pack