3rd Field Ambulance 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, AIF

Normal awm e00714

About This Unit

Big thumb 1st field ambulance

The 3rd Field Ambulance was the Field Ambulance Company that belonged to the Third Brigade of the First Division, comprised of 9th 10th 11th and 12th  Battalions, all of which were drawn from the "outer  States", namely Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania respectively.

The 3rd Brigade were the first to land at Gallipoli on the 25th April 1915 as the Covering Force and the Field Ambulances were soon in action being established near the beach.  

Significant numbers of South Australians saw service in the 3rd Field Ambulance and indeed the unit exists to this day as a sub unit of the 9th Combat Service Support Battalion at Warradale in Adelaide's southern suburbs.

Perhaps the most famous members of the 3rd Field Ambulance were Private John Kirkpatrick Simpson and his donkey, who famously evacuated casualties for hte Gallipoli fighting to the beach head until Simpson was killed by a Turkish machine gun on 19 May 1915. 

The Field Ambulance Company was responsible for 'Second Line' casualty evacuation from 'First Line' Regimental Aid Posts (RAP) in each battalion.  

The RAPs served each Battalion (or other units) and were manned by the Regimental Medical Officer (RMO), a qualified doctor generally of Captain rank supported by several non-commissioned officers (NCO) of Sergeant and Corporal rank, with a number of medical orderlies at the rank of Private.  

They in turn were supported by unit stretcher bearers, generally drawn from the Battalion's Band.  These men would be trained to administer First Aid sufficient to clear airways, staunch bleeding and perhaps splint fractures so that casualties could be evacuated to the Battalion RAP.   Casualties would be hand carried - requiring at least four men but more like eight over any distance for each casualty.  Hand carts were also used but rough ground generally meant stretchers,  When mass casualties occurred, such as through major shelling or an enemy attack,  decisions would have to be made about the priority of evacuation.   The RMO would assess the casualty and decide whether they were to be evacuated and with what priority.  Grievous wounds with little chance of survival would generally not be evacuated.

When an attack or advance was undertaken, the RAP would follow up the units' forward elements and were thus exposed to enemy direct fire (rifles and machine guns) and indirect fire (artillery mortar fire and even gas).

The Field Ambulance would have personnel deployed forward to retrieve casualties from the RAP to the Field Ambulance Advanced Dressing Station and then to a Casualty Clearing Station (CCS).

They would have to deploy forward to reach the RAP, and thus come under the same risks as the front line combat troops.

They may have had a number of means to assist in casualty evacuation from light rail, horse drawn vehicles and even motor vehicles.  Or they could indeed also be stretcher borne.

On Gallipoli, the Field Ambulances were 'on the beach'.  Subsequent evacuation was by ship to Lemnos Island, then to Malta and ultimately to the United Kingdom where soldiers might be hospitalised for many months.  Then they would undergo rehabilitation, either in the UK or in serious cases they might be repatriated back to Australia.  Many of the wounded succumbed to their wounds in transit.  They would be buried at sea in the traditional naval fashion. 

Once at the CCS, additional Medical Officers and supporting personnel were available to carry out life saving surgery.  Some casualties might be retained in a limited number of beds - generally to allow more seriously wounded to be evacuated further to rear.  The tragic fact was many men would have died here from serious wounds and indeed many of the cemeteries scattered through Northern France and Belgium originally began alongside a CCS.

From a CCS casualties might be taken to a Field Hospital or straight to a General Hospital. 

Soldiers with serious wounds who needed surgery have what is called "The Golden Hour" to receive the treatment they need.  After that time their chance of survival diminishes rapidly.  Conditions were such that evacuation times were extended considerably by poor weather, the predominance of water, mud, the detritus of battle, shell torn ground and enemy action.  At the time infection was also a great risk as it was prior to the discovery of penicillin and other antibiotics.


Battle/ Campaign/ Involvement 


 We would particularly like to encourage individual historians researchers or members of unit associations to contribute to the development of a more detailed history and photographs pertaining to this unit and its members.

Please contact  admin@vwma.org.au  (mailto:admin@vwma.org.au) for details on how to contribute.